Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Outer Tirod Assembly Question

Old 09-05-2020, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Outer Tirod Assembly Question

Replacing all of my tirod ends and after reading some issues people are having with removing the right outer tirod end, I think it might be best just to get the whole assembly which doesn’t cost too much more. I’ve seen people on here have mentioned the Raybestos 410-1096, however, I haven’t been able to find it anywhere. Amazon is sold out, nothing on eBay, and noting on RockAuto.

So, is there a similar part to the Raybestos one? I’d prefer one with a zerk fitting but I’m willing to compromise. But, bottom line is that I really don’t want to fight with the right tirod end as I don’t have a ton of tools at my disposal to help me out. I want to try to make this job as easy as possible for myself.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

are you dealing with an older jeep, or a newer one? I wouldn't change it just cuz you read people are having issues. I'd wait till you need an end replaced, then replace the entire TR. You can build a nice aluminum TR with GM 1-ton ends for about $150, and when I say "build", that doesn't mean any real tools required, simply order the pieces and screw together.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
are you dealing with an older jeep, or a newer one? I wouldn't change it just cuz you read people are having issues. I'd wait till you need an end replaced, then replace the entire TR. You can build a nice aluminum TR with GM 1-ton ends for about $150, and when I say "build", that doesn't mean any real tools required, simply order the pieces and screw together.
Its an 09. I’m replacing the ends because there’s tons of play in them and I’ve been hearing clunking over bumps. I read that when replacing these ends people have issues removing the right outer tirod end for whatever reason and I really didn’t want to fuss with it so when I go to replace them I just want to get a whole new TR like you mentioned. But, good to know I can use GM 1-Ton ends with the JK.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ie-rod-346539/

GM 1-tons aren't just plug and play with the factory, but take a look at that link if you want to explore building one. Rough Stuff has an aluminum one you can build packaged together already, but it costs a little more than if you do the legwork and order yourself.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Ruffstuff kit bolted right into my 10, might work for the 09 as well. Aluminum is so cheap though, I'd vote aluminum.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

GM 1-tons aren't just plug and play with the factory,
I just mean as in the 1-ton ends don't just screw right into the factory TR. The ends however will seat right into the knuckle just fine.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I just mean as in the 1-ton ends don't just screw right into the factory TR. The ends however will seat right into the knuckle just fine.
Correct. I misunderstood and I've seen conflicting info on various sites where they say the 1 ton kits may not fit factory knuckles. I've seen them bolt right into factory knuckles from 10-15, but you're correct- the 1 ton parts are a LONG way from being replacement parts for the factory links.

FWIW- my "1 ton" drag link was the same price as a Dorman unit. It didn't take much convincing for me to ditch the factory stuff.

Quick Reply: Outer Tirod Assembly Question