Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

p0369 help needed!

Old 09-14-2020, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0369 help needed!

Hi All, I've searched the forums and have found similar symptoms in a few other posts, but no resolutions. Would really appreciate any insights!

2013 JKU Rubicon. 43K, but out of warranty for time. Symptom is CEL & Traction lights on dash with vehicle going into limp mode. CEL code = p0369 cam position sensor. It happened intermittently and only when the engine was under load such as climbing a long hill through the mountains. By the time I got to the dealer all warning lights had self cleared. Described what happened and gave the p0369 code I pulled from my FIXD. Dealer was unable to duplicate and called me to get Jeep a few days later. Told them I was scheduled to go on a camping trip in a few days and I needed to know if it was ok to drive. Assured me vehicle was working like it should and sent me on my way. On my way out of town, vehicle broke down with same symptoms and codes mentioned above. Brought the Jeep back to dealer a few days later and that is where it has been since. Dealer has been unable to definitively identify the problem. At mechanic's suggestion, I contacted Jeep Customer Care. They assisted with a partial tear down where mechanic found metal particles in the motor and a damaged exhaust camshaft. Jeep Customer Care also contributed $1000 toward replacing that camshaft. Work was performed and car put back together. Car immediately threw another code (I don't know which one) and now dealer is recommending the intake camshaft be replaced. Jeep Customer Care has refused to help any further. My cost will be another $1300 (the warranty rate) dollars to replace this cam. None of which actually tells me what caused camshafts to need to be replaced or assures me this resolves my original issue.

I've been without the vehicle since early July. I don't have any idea where to go with this situation. Ultimately I will do what I have to, but am I wrong to think that camshafts needing to be replaced at only 43K is indicative of a manufacturing defect?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 09-17-2020, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow that is a long time without a vehicle. I have not had issues with cams like you described. It seems like it has low mileage. On the flip side if the engine is not maintained or abused etc. problems will occur so it is hard to say it is a manufacture issue. It looks like they helped with one cam but then the other one went out as well. Could have been from debris in the oil. You can fight this but it will be hard to prove. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply. And I see your flip side point. I will tell you the vehicle has never been abused and never been even a drop low on oil or day late with oil changes, but no way for Jeep to know that, I guess.

Insult to injury, got a call yesterday from someone different in the service department. He called to inform me that the service advisor I've been dealing with since July is suddenly no longer working there and oh, by the way, the dealership (where I bought the car new) is under new ownership as of last year so they have no inclination or obligation to help me with a 43K mi bad motor. Then proceeded to tell me if I wanted to trade the vehicle in he'd put me in touch with the sales manager. Lastly, mechanic now suspects the cam phasers could be what caused the metal in the motor and even after the other camshaft is replaced the problem might be the timing chains. Ugh!

Looks like I will be taking it in the shorts on this one.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Sorry to hear all this. They know they have you a tough position. You might try saying look you are a new owner of this place and if you want good advertisement from me lets strike a fair deal. Talk the top guys is your bets bet. They know you can send bad publicity as well. It can't hurt to try. if possible I would do it face to face, or face mask to face mask.
The following users liked this post:
jkeith00 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

You are warrantied out by time not miles which is rare. I believe that oil we use now is too thin for the heat in these modern engines. I would try a slightly more viscous synthetic oil. Up here I use 0W20 Amsoil in the Chev engine in winter and will change to 5W30 Amsoil in summer.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Wonder if this extended warranty might help you.....

https://www.wranglerforum.com/thread...ension.806762/
Old 09-18-2020, 09:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Niteshooter
Wonder if this extended warranty might help you.....

https://www.wranglerforum.com/thread...ension.806762/
Thanks. I've seen this and have all the info saved. Been at a bit of a standstill this week with the service writer change. Somehow no one seems to know what is going on with my Jeep there so waiting for people to catch up. The warranty extension seems to just be for the left head, but no one wants it to be related more than me! LOL
Old 07-15-2023, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkeith00
Thanks. I've seen this and have all the info saved. Been at a bit of a standstill this week with the service writer change. Somehow no one seems to know what is going on with my Jeep there so waiting for people to catch up. The warranty extension seems to just be for the left head, but no one wants it to be related more than me! LOL
What finally was the outcome for your wrangler? Did you ever figure it out? I’ve been fighting this problem for 2 years now with no solution yet.

Last edited by Paparube; 07-15-2023 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: p0369 help needed!