Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0430 code issue

Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0430 code issue

I did some searching and cant find a great diagram of where and how to replace an o2 sensor on my 07 sahara unlimited.

I am hoping its not the CAT that needs to be replaced so a 30 dollar attempt with a sensor is where I am at now.

in the case of needing to replace the CAT, anyone know where my best deal/shot would be?

Thanks

07 sahara unlimited 93k miles
Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same code thrown on my WK. It wasn't the O2 sensor, it was the cat. I had a dent in it the size of a nickel, and the dealer stated it was "smashed". They didn't want to warranty it because the cats on the WK were $1500. I ended up putting a Magnaflow aftermarket universal cat on it, cost $100. That fixed it for 500 miles, then the code came back. I sold it with the code existing because I didn't want to pay that amount to fix it. I think a skid plate to protect the cats is sooooo important.

BTW, the cat was hollow when I cut it out.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by saharaunlimited
I did some searching and cant find a great diagram of where and how to replace an o2 sensor on my 07 sahara unlimited.

I am hoping its not the CAT that needs to be replaced so a 30 dollar attempt with a sensor is where I am at now.

in the case of needing to replace the CAT, anyone know where my best deal/shot would be?

Thanks

07 sahara unlimited 93k miles
Most of the causes can be checked without buying parts.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: center"]Possible Causes
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]O2 RETURN UPSTREAM CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]O2 RETURN DOWNSTREAM CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]O2 RETURN UPSTREAM CIRCUIT OPEN
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]O2 RETURN DOWNSTREAM CIRCUIT OPEN
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]EXHAUST LEAK
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]ENGINE MECHANICAL CONDITION
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]AGING O2 SENSOR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]CATALYTIC CONVERTER
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 01-04-2012, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

to be honest, I am not too sure on how to check just about all of those things. i am just dreading having to pay for a new Cat
Old 01-16-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, the oxygen sensor did NOT do the trick and im running out of time ( inspection is due ). anyone have any thoughts on the possibility of an exhaust leak all the way down by the muffler being an issue?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's most likely the cats. Just have to cough it up and pay to fix it, or figure out a way to get the inspection done while the check engine light is off. This is what I did for a few years while I had this error code.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the information, unfortunately I am at 94k miles...
Old 01-16-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

I have a little bit different situation but I had the same code thrown on my JK. I have headers but it was a leak at where the flange mounts to the head. Tightened down the bolts and cleared code. It did not come back. The factory exhaust manifolds are known for cracking. I have heard several guys complain of this. If you have a cracked exhaust manifold it may be enough of a leak to throw this code. Just an idea?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will definitely check the exhaust manifold, hopefully i can see some damage if there is any. any other ideas from people with experience?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

well as it turns out, bank 2 is the drivers side of the car- not the passenger. so not only is my problem not fixed- but I replaced the wrong sensor.... I have since moved it to the correct location and will now have to wait to see if the CEL comes back on. will report back in a few days

Quick Reply: P0430 code issue