Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0481 fan wiring help

Old 12-08-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0481 fan wiring help

So I turned on the AC today and I got this code, so I looked at the fan wiring and Followed it to rear of the driver head light, I have a blue wire that's open and I can't find where it goes..... Its a short blue wire that plugs in somewhere, but I can't find where... Help
Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Does the fan come on at all (with A/C on, or when the engine gets hot)?

There are three wires in the fan harness: high speed, low speed, and ground. None of them is solid blue.
That single wire you have must go to something else.

Here is what the code you have means:

P0481-COOLING FAN 2 CONTROL CIRCUIT

• When Monitored: With the ignition on. Battery voltage greater than 10 volts.
  • Set Condition: The PCM is requesting the TIPM to turn on the Cooling Fan On and it is not operating. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes
CAN C BUS FAILURE
ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR DTCS SET
COOLING FAN CONTROL CIRCUIT DTCS SET IN THE TIPM
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

The dealer scan tool would be able to eliminate a lot of stuff. Here is what you can do without it:

Inspect the wiring and connectors between the Relay, Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.
Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals. Verify that there is good pin to terminal contact in the Relay, Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) connectors.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-08-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx for the info, i found the problem, it was a cut wire going to pcm. fixed it and now no more code.....

Quick Reply: P0481 fan wiring help