Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

paint questions

Old 12-18-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, wheelin last night with my son after the t case finally got fixed. Of course we had to check it out! Well, we didn't see the metal silt fence stake barely in our path. We heard it though! After turning around to find out exactly what it was and finding the metal stake, we assessed it in the light on the paved road. It took a nice gash out of the passenger front quarter panel, the hinge and a bit more on the door.

My question is, I've been looking for touchup paint and found it to HOPEFULLY match but do I need primer, basecoat and clearcoat??? I'm wanting to get just a small bottle as the damage isn't much but I want to get at it before it starts to rust. I don't mind the stripes and minor stuff going down the doors but I really need to tackle this and soon! Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

All the sites I've seen say I need the 3 to make it match right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111218_085851.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	251154   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111218_085932.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	251155  

Last edited by DirtyDi; 12-18-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used the OEM Chrysler touch-up from the dealer (or Quadratec.) It is fine alone. Yes you'll see the repair but it's pretty good. Just be sure to clean the area with alcohol to ensure a good bond. If you have a really steady hand and fill just the gash, you can use multiple applications to level it up.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah Chrysler makes them in a touch up pen and a spray. But if you want it to look factory you would need to pull the damaged parts you would have to prep them first. The touch up will help hide the damage but you will still see it. Personally if you a going to wheel this kind of thing is going to happen. I would touch it up and roll with it

Quick Reply: paint questions