Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Painting the Muffler?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting the Muffler?

I apparently have a slight obsession with Ace Rust Stop Gloss Black. I make damn near everything black. Patio furniture, axles, driveshafts, trailers, fenders, wheels, etc. all gloss black

anyway; my JK is black on black.

And I've blacked out most of the underside as well. However Is it ok to paint muffler? mostly the rear part that's visible from the back.

I painted the last 6" of the exhaust without any issues that I know of. Now it's black and less noticeable as a tail pipe.

anyone think it's a bad idea?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I painted mine with the rustoleum BBQ grill paint and it has held up well. Its not glossy at all though if that's the look you want. Not the best pic, but you can see it here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2481.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	473542  
Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lowendrider
I painted mine with the rustoleum BBQ grill paint and it has held up well. Its not glossy at all though if that's the look you want. Not the best pic, but you can see it here.
^ Yep, what he said... That paint is good to 1200F, the muffler doesn't get that hot.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VHT makes a hi-temp paint as well.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Default paint

Ok, so I don't have to worry about making the muffler hotter if the paint doesn't let heat escape?

Normally I'd have just painted it already; but when I was around 10-12 I painted a honda ATV engine black.

well, the engine was air cooled.

so, after any kind of running it would over heat and stall out.

that was not fun.

The ACE stuff has held up fine to the exhaust tip, does the muffler get hotter than that?

my major concern was overheating the muffler, since it's obviously air cooled.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I have used the VHT "ceramic" header paint on my Wife's JKs MBRP exhaust and my MBRP on my JK. Make sure to scuff it up and use the primer as well. Otherwise, it will flake off.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Default done

painted it last night.

I'll get a pick tonight.

haven't driven the damn thing in a week, nothing but rain here and my doors are off!

(I have a Tahoe too).

Maybe I need some soft doors...
Old 07-02-2013, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Ok, so I don't have to worry about making the muffler hotter if the paint doesn't let heat escape?

Normally I'd have just painted it already; but when I was around 10-12 I painted a honda ATV engine black.

well, the engine was air cooled.

so, after any kind of running it would over heat and stall out.

that was not fun.

The ACE stuff has held up fine to the exhaust tip, does the muffler get hotter than that?

my major concern was overheating the muffler, since it's obviously air cooled.
The muffler might be warmer than the tailpipe, since technically it's closer to the engine (source of heat) on the pipe. The muffler is not "air cooled" but it does dissipate heat. That's almost saying the same thing, but the point is the muffler doesn't need to be cooled to operate. It's actually a sound deadening device (it muffles sound). Paint won't hurt it.

It might look bad after a year or so if you use cheap paint. The heat/cool cycles of running the vehicle will cause the paint to break down. Plus, i'm sure a lot of stuff gets kicked up towards the rear of the vehicle, so the paint will be pitted and chipped very quickly. I suppose you could just rattle-can it again for cheap, if you wanted to.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

I used Rustoleum High Temp paint to paint my stock muffler. If really made it disappear. It was the one people use for grills and smokers. It held up for almost a year before I got my Dynomax 17523 muffler.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Default paint

I always have at least 2 cans of this black spray on hand, I can just coat it again lol.

yea, it really blends in now.

walked past a stock JK today at work, even not lifted the muffler sticks out like a sore thumb.

another thread says how great a muffler delete is, so maybe I'll just take it off!

Quick Reply: Painting the Muffler?