Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pentastar Head AA - AB Issue-2

Old 08-26-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lanslide
Isn't that the valve cover?
Sorry. Yes it is on the valve cover.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
There isn't anything on the drivers side stock head
With the engine wedged into the vehicle and covered by all the wiring and other stuff, it's kind of hard to tell where the head ends and the block begins, but this seems to be on the head's exhaust manifold. Since the exhaust manifold is technically part of the head, I would say that there actually is something on the driver's side stock head, but I'm not quite sure what it represents.

On the exhaust manifold, directly above where the exhaust pipe attaches, and hidden under some connectors for the engine wiring harness is a 3D barcode and some numbers that are laser-etched or pin-punched into the manifold.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Code.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	358349

This is the best picture that I can get without taking stuff off. I shoved my phone way down into the engine compartment to take this picture, and I just noticed that there's something hiding even further back under the connectors which I never noticed before. I don't really have time right now to take everything apart to read it, though.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

I was told that the original factory heads have a tag on them that is removed at the factory. I don't remember the JK-forum members name, but he worked in the chrysler plant...I don't know which one.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy.Jeepchick
I was told that the original factory heads have a tag on them that is removed at the factory. I don't remember the JK-forum members name, but he worked in the chrysler plant...I don't know which one.
I read something to that effect as well in an article I found somewhere on the Pentastar production (probably at pentastars.com, but I can't remember for sure). They RFID tag everything to keep track of it and remove the tags before final assembly.

But I'd think that they'd have to include a part number somewhere for identification purposes after it leaves the factory, e.g. by a dealer or whatever, because there's no guarantee that the motor is going to stay in the vehicle it was put in at the factory or it's not going to be parted-out, etc. Of course, nothing says they have to make it easy to find, though.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gort
I read something to that effect as well in an article I found somewhere on the Pentastar production (probably at pentastars.com, but I can't remember for sure). They RFID tag everything to keep track of it and remove the tags before final assembly.

But I'd think that they'd have to include a part number somewhere for identification purposes after it leaves the factory, e.g. by a dealer or whatever, because there's no guarantee that the motor is going to stay in the vehicle it was put in at the factory or it's not going to be parted-out, etc. Of course, nothing says they have to make it easy to find, though.
This is why I stressed in a post finding the engine serial number to see if it has the T or S like the 3.8 does, this would be a good starting point.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I posted this in another thread too, but I believe the marker date on the front of our motors is the inspection date of the oil pan casting, which could have been stored a month or more before being bolted to a motor. Its not the date of the motor. It only makes sence that the date of the motor will be stamped somewhere. The GM motors dates are casted on the block above where the transmission bolts to the motor. If thats where it is on the Pentastars, we probably will never find out when the motor was built until the motor is removed.

EDIT: I read on a Google search that the engine serial number is located on the left side above the trans mount flange.

Last edited by simadownow6988; 08-26-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Sima...great minds think alike. Both you and 33 are zeroing in on finding the serial number to help answer some lingering questions.

I may be taking a break from some of this Pentastar "sleuthing" and let some of the others do some of the legwork. I'm just going to keep tabs on the incoming info to plug into the spreadsheet.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default serial number location

Found the penastar engine serial number location, it's in the page section ( Other Pentastar V6 engine notes ) The serial number is on the left side of the block, at the transmission flange.

Read Here:
Pentastar Engines: Overview and Technical Details

Old 08-26-2012, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found the location of the drivers side head part number. If you climb under your JK and look up above the exhaust loop, between the motor and the firewall, you can dee the back of the head. It has a raised part number, some kind of stamp, and inspection markings on it.
Heres a pic of mine:

Name:	head2.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	358414

The part number is 05184445A1. It has a H6 stamp on it as well.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Name:	image-3396760399.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	358416

Here's a stamp on the left head

Name:	image-3345059422.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	358417

Also found this on on the block

Name:	image-2065869089.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	358418

And this one on the same side down by the starter. Still haven't found an AA or AB on the head and neither stamped on the block have a S or a T

Last edited by Detonatorunlimited; 08-26-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Pentastar Head AA - AB Issue-2