Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Pentastar interchange from 2012+?

Old 08-11-2017, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pentastar interchange from 2012+?

Long story short, my 2012 JKU needs an engine.... the previous owners neglected to ensure that the air box was properly sealed & quite a bit of Moab dirt & sand (it was a rental Jeep in Moab before I had it) found their way into the engine. I had some recent work done on the engine and found that the cross-hatching is nearly non-existent on the cyl. walls, plus it feels down on power. There is no question that the engine is wounded.

While I would love to do an LS swap, my plans are to sell this thing when the JT diesel is out... so I don't want a bunch of money tied up in an engine swap when I won't get it back. My plan is to swap another Pentastar engine back into the Jeep, but I'm wondering if the newer engines will work in a 2012? Will a 2015+ engine work with my ECM? Any other changes to be aware of? I'm planning to buy an engine either from a wrecked JK or perhaps one that was pulled for a V8 swap.

Anything else I should know about stock to stock swaps? I'm hoping I can get a complete engine with all accessories, wiring harness and ECM.

Last edited by Greg@RME; 08-11-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Doing some reading, it looks like the oil filter is different....

FITS:

2012-2013 JEEP WRANGLER 3.6L -- NEED TO USE 2014-2016 STYLE OIL FILTER

2014-2017 JEEP WRANGLER 3.6L

Still unsure about the ECM.....
Old 08-12-2017, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg@RME
Doing some reading, it looks like the oil filter is different....

Still unsure about the ECM.....
Since ECM reads sensors unless sensor holes are different and you can't remount your existing ones you should be fine.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kejtar
Since ECM reads sensors unless sensor holes are different and you can't remount your existing ones you should be fine.
Yeah, I don't believe there were any changes in the Pentastar over the years.... but rather than guess, I sure would like to have conformation from someone that either knows first-hand or has swapped a newer engine into an older 2012 JK.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There’s a guy on YouTube that swapped a 2015 into a 2012.

Quick Reply: Pentastar interchange from 2012+?