Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Perfect Harmony.... HELP!!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2) this may be a little less practical and will not look as good. put on a bigger lift maybe an aev 3.5 or 4.5 as they are know for their great on road manners. then add the tires of your choice - 35 or 37. Now go pick up some t
ake off steelies with stock 32's or smaller and just swap the tires out when ever you go to work or hit the trail. It will save you gas, give you a mean trail rig, and save your tires.
as i said it is a little more labour intensive though

This sounds guuuud to me so simple but never thought of switching tires lol, i get to save money and my dignity wow simple is better...
Old 06-27-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jtjk
as guys have already said the bigger tires and even a lift are gonna hurt an already fuel hungry vehicle.

Here is my two cents: i think you have two decent options ...

1) keep the stock 32 it will save you millage, wear and tear on suspension and axle parts. keep the little pep the jk has to offer as your gearing will be correct. I would then build more an overland themed jk. Maybe a long range tank, roof rack and for list 2.5 teraflex budget boost for just a little more clearance. With some drive skill this will be a surprisingly capable setup that still suits your needs. No it wont be a hard core crawler but its a nice genral trail weeknd warrior setup.
I would not go 33. in my opinion the loss in gearing (just enough to be irritating but not enough to justify a re gear for 1500) , fuel economy and added wear on suspension is not worth it.

2) this may be a little less practical and will not look as good. put on a bigger lift maybe an aev 3.5 or 4.5 as they are know for their great on road manners. then add the tires of your choice - 35 or 37. Now go pick up some take off steelies with stock 32's or smaller and just swap the tires out when ever you go to work or hit the trail. It will save you gas, give you a mean trail rig, and save your tires.
as i said it is a little more labour intensive though
What he said. Takes only a few minutes to swap wheels. Good wheeling tires aren't good highway tires, and visa-versa. Only drawback is the gears that will work well with 32" highway tires will be pretty tall off-road with 35+. Possibly you could find 35" tires with highway tread (and re-gear), or settle for wheeling tires that are only 32.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use your Jeep for a couple of months and become familiar with it and its capabilities. It will do much more bone stock than you might realize. That way you will have a real sense of what you want to do with it without going overboard.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it suck getting up to spead, but don't bigger tires eat up more road? Once you get going that object in motion is going to tend to stay in motion with a little effort, but its not like you are doing city driveing, but heck Im running stock rubi tires, so Im just thinking out loud.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Use your Jeep for a couple of months and become familiar with it and its capabilities. It will do much more bone stock than you might realize. That way you will have a real sense of what you want to do with it without going overboard.

Quick Reply: Perfect Harmony.... HELP!!!!