Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Pinging and Knocking Updates Please

Old 10-07-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinging and Knocking Updates Please

Feedback please on the Pinging/Knocking under load between 2-3K RPM. Sounds like the typical marbles rattling around in the cylinders. Same sound my 99 Durango made when the plentum gasket sucked itself in. Just finished my first tank full of Chevron Techron and still have a rattling valve ping under load after the engine has heated up. Hoping the second bottle helps more. My wife makes a lot of short trips to and from work so I think at about 10K miles I probably have some build-up causing the pre-detonation causing the ping.

Welcome to other experiences and or solutions related to this only. No steering clunking and idle tick comments needed.

Last edited by Smiley; 10-07-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'd get it checked.....

Smiley maybe your knock sensor is bad, the computer reads predetonation and adjusts the timing to compensate for load, fuel quality, etc. Sounds like you may have a warranty problem. You shouldn't be getting ANY noticable clatter. Just a thought....
Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crank / cam position sensor problem causing timing to be off?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Doc_D
Crank / cam position sensor problem causing timing to be off?
Doc that might cause a hard start condition, but not always....
Old 10-08-2008, 03:46 AM
JK Junkie

I'm just full of advice this a.m. Smiley LOL. The older vehicles with the low energy ignition systems and leaded fuel were real bad about carboning up if they weren't driven fairly briskly. The cure for one that had gone too far to be ''blown out'' by hard acceleration was to take a coke bottle full of water and ''dribble'' a little water into the carb while an assistant ran the engine at a fast idle. This cleaned the cylinders out like brand new. The new high energy ignition vehicles and unleaded fuel simply DON'T develop carbon buildup like the old engines did. Pinging and clattering is not helped by additives on these new engines as there is no buildup for them to remove. Virtually all clattering or pinging nowadays is caused by bad sensor readings....
Old 10-11-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TINMAN,

Thanks for you straight forward comments. What you’re saying makes sense but after a tank and 1/2 with Techron additive seems I have lost the pinging between 2-3K under moderate acceleration. Tried for about 30 minutes to make it ping this evening but could not. Even pulled the E-Bake a couple notches to give it a little more load. Of course it could have been other things like bad gas but I still think something had built up on the intakes or valves to get them to rattle.

P.S. Watched a guy do the seafoam down the air hat a couple years ago on his Durango and the lady down the street called the fire department because it put out so much steamy smoke. I have never been brave enough to try it on one of my vehicles.

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00024.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	14060  
Old 10-11-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiley
TINMAN,

Thanks for you straight forward comments. What you’re saying makes sense but after a tank and 1/2 with Techron additive seems I have lost the pinging between 2-3K under moderate acceleration. Tried for about 30 minutes to make it ping this evening but could not. Even pulled the E-Bake a couple notches to give it a little more load. Of course it could have been other things like bad gas but I still think something had built up on the intakes or valves to get them to rattle.

P.S. Watched a guy do the seafoam down the air hat a couple years ago on his Durango and the lady down the street called the fire department because it put out so much steamy smoke. I have never been brave enough to try it on one of my vehicles.

Thanks again
Hey glad to hear you may have sorted it out.
The following users liked this post:
buenhec (11-19-2019)
Old 10-12-2008, 12:09 AM
JK Junkie

TINMAN,

Thanks again
I wonder if this techron additive also acts as a octane booster?
buenhec (11-19-2019)
Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TINMAN,

Thanks again
I've seen enough seafoam nightmare stories that even if they are all improper aplication issues, I just don't have the cojones.
buenhec (11-19-2019)
Old 10-12-2008, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a little noise from the engine,but like always your engine is telling you that the 87 octane is shit and stick in the 89 octane and the noise is gone
I have done this to all my vehicles its just not enough the camel piss they call 87 octane.
Most will say not to do it,WHY not try it out if it doesn't work them warranty it.
I find its the lifters in the engine making the noise,I switched to the 89 octane and I get a little more kick in each gear and WOW the noise is gone and runs smoother

Just my opinion,its worth the try

buenhec (11-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Pinging and Knocking Updates Please