Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Plasti Dip Bumper

Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasti Dip Bumper

I see alot of threads reviewing plasti dip and stating how awesome it is. and then i see a bunch of threads regarding fading bumpers and remedies for this issue.

Has anyone attempted to plasti dip the bumpers. if so, got any pictures?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How many gallons to truly dip the bumpers? I've used it on smaller items and it works very well. Not sure how it paints or sprays on though.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think plasti-dip is cool and all, but I can honestly say that i think plasti-dipping the bumpers is a bad idea. I feel like it will start peeling very quickly, especially since it is the first thing to get hit with rocks and dirt traveling at super-sonic speeds on the highway. Im not trying to be a downer or anything and I truly emphasize that you should try it out (worst thing that can happen is it peels off), but i would try going another route other than plasti- dip.

Might I suggest heating the bumpers with a blow dryer or in the hot sun and spraying them with tire shine. I live in AZ and get a lot of sun exposure, but all my plastic looks brand new using this method.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

That makes sense. Just a thought and since usually when i think something some else already has done it i figured i would check and see. I have done the blow torch trick on my yj but not yet on my jk.

still if any one of you plasti-dip extremists are out there that have done the bumper let us know.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Maybe rattlecan bedliner is a better route...
Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

I've used plasti dip on my wheels and it came out awesome.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

I don't think it'll hold up on a bumper. Even on wheels the lifespan is limited. Do a rattle can bed liner. Then you can just keep it touched up with spray bomb.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had the wheels plasti dipped for over a year with no problems, or chips at all. Before this, i had used the plasti dip on the grill and bumpers of my Dodge Ram to black it out, and it never chipped, even through the Ohio winters. Even if it does chip, just re-spray the area, and it will self level and disappear! Love that stuff! I was thinking of using it on my bumper in the Spring when I chop it into a stubby and add the VDP Caps.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

How about rattle can then plasti-dip over the liner. Anyone ever try that in their bumpers or grills?

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip Bumper