Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Play in Steering Wheel

Old 06-11-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in Steering Wheel

as it says above, i have about an inch to inch and a half of play in my steering wheel while driving. i can move it that much and still go straight, does anybody know what might be wrong...or is that just how the jeeps are?
thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it could be a caster issue. Did you replace your control arms when you did your lift?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

mine's a stock sahara '10 and has play in the wheel. From what i've experienced trucks/minivans always seem to while sedans don't. My sisters grand cherokee does, our old minivan did, pickup trucks that i've driven have. I would count it off as normal
Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Sounds like it could be a caster issue. Did you replace your control arms when you did your lift?
i did, the procomp lift kit came with new control arms.

Originally Posted by murdoc319
mine's a stock sahara '10 and has play in the wheel. From what i've experienced trucks/minivans always seem to while sedans don't. My sisters grand cherokee does, our old minivan did, pickup trucks that i've driven have. I would count it off as normal
thanks, maybe it is just normal, i really dont know, it is not terrible but would be nice to have a solid steering wheel
Old 06-11-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have someone turn the wheel while you watch your sector shaft which is the splined shaft that comes from the steering box. I believe that nut is supposed to be torqed to 140 and I have seen them come loose before and infact I have a PSC steering gear as I waited too long to identify my loose sector shaft issue.

Quick Reply: Play in Steering Wheel