Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Poor gas

Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor gas

Happy labor day jeepers, gas question. My '11 sport pings like crazy in 3rd and 4 th gear. Should I stop using regular and run a better grade? Use injector cleaner more frequently?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally went to 89 octane because the fuel in my area is real bad. I have less pinging if not all gone once the engine warms up and I do get a few more km per tank *beer* try it and see if it helps. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

my '08 started pinging regulary - on about anything I fed it. Checked everything, it wasn't throwing any codes and I'd changed nothing. Figured It just wanted 93 octane - and yet it still pinged occasionally...

It pinged right up until I tried to get it inspected last year - it woudn't pass becase the emission monitors showed "not ready" - long story short, after $400 in the shop, they finally found that a ground wire on one of the O2 connectors (B1/S1) had jiggled out of the harness. Weirdness - you'd think it would have thrown codes, but it didn't.

Fixed that piece of the harness, pinging immediately went away (which tells me the PCM wasn't getting good info from the O2 sensor) and the readiness monitors set properly.

I learned that you can't just rely on DTC codes to tell you when something in fuel/emission system isn't working properly.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:09 PM
kik
JK Freak

I'm in North Jersey and my 10 Rubicon runs perfect on Shell 87 octane, winter & summer blends. It should not be pinging. If you're running no name gas switch to name brand. I would consider taking it in since you're probably still under warranty. There could be something else going on.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's very important to use Dielectric Grease for Electrical Connectors to the O2 sensor (upper and lower) so the ECM get an accurate reading,Using electrical contact grease increases reliability and the life of the connection by preventing corrosion and sealing the connection from water
Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apwjk518
Happy labor day jeepers, gas question. My '11 sport pings like crazy in 3rd and 4 th gear. Should I stop using regular and run a better grade? Use injector cleaner more frequently?
Originally Posted by kik
I'm in North Jersey and my 10 Rubicon runs perfect on Shell 87 octane, winter & summer blends. It should not be pinging. If you're running no name gas switch to name brand. I would consider taking it in since you're probably still under warranty. There could be something else going on.
You should not be experiencing any pinging. Is this something that just started or has it been going on since day one?

Bottom line, Take it to the dealer and tell the service department to check it out. If they say "that's normal" they are being disingenuous (lying). There is a sensor or something along those lines that is causing this.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy
You should not be experiencing any pinging. Is this something that just started or has it been going on since day one?

Bottom line, Take it to the dealer and tell the service department to check it out. If they say "that's normal" they are being disingenuous (lying). There is a sensor or something along those lines that is causing this.

I dont want to go to the dealer due to my install of an afe stage 2 CAI and tb spacer. When i installed it they send me the wrong part # and i had to "doctor" the sensor and extend the wire harness. No issues for the install, just recent pinging, possible due to really warm weather in Jersey. will run a higher grade and use injector cleaner
Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

Do you cut the IAT sensor wires and respliced them? The IAT sensor directly affects the timing and fuel tables. A bad reading supplied to the ecu would cause pinging. You need that sensor as close to the TB as possible, preferably on the side of the intake pipe.

Last edited by Flip94ta; 09-04-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

Injector cleaner is only recommended once every oil change.

Try to find the quality of your fuel source. I found that I had problems when "up to" 10% ethanol was in the fuel I bought, and it was the only fuel available for the time.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

My part of Pennsylvania (NE) , all we have is the 10% ethanol garbage. I have 18,000 miles now I had the pinging with 87 and it's gone with the 89. Used 87 from Sheetz, Turkey Hill, Sunoco, Citgo, and Shell. So it wasn't a brand issue. Any of the same stations using 89 there was no pinging. Have been adding the Lucas ethanol treatment and it seems to have helped with the MPG's I haven't gone back to the 87 yet. Thinking the Lucas with the 87 might work and may try it soon.

Quick Reply: Poor gas