Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Possible bad u-joint?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible bad u-joint?

Here's video I was rotating my tires an was checking things out. I grabbed my front driver u-joint an it moves an makes a noise was wondering if it bad or not? Also when Driving making left hand turns it squeaks enough where you an hear it inside with the windows up. It also does it when turned to the right but not as bad. Here's a video let me know what you guys think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy41zmH7-ZU
Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

If you want to change them I can show you the hammer and socket method

I'd prob get ready to change them out. Mine was clunking/pinging for a little bit before it exploded. (I can't see to much in the vid only hearing it)
Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like a bad U-Joint. Soak it over night in PB Blaster - it will make it easier on you or whoever is removing the U-Joint. Sometimes they're a pain to remove.

Lots of youtube videos on removal and reinstallation.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Well I'm still under warranty but I'm lifted with 35's so don't know if I will be covered but I'd like a like to see how it is done cause I'm capable of doing it myself
Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually just got mine back from the dealership for a u joint replacement. They said normally they wouldn't cover it because of my 315/75/16's but this time they made an exception. I think the real reason though is after doing some research I found that Chrysler was installing the c clips wrong thus causing the caps to come off and the u joint basically explodes after that.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Nibsirb
I actually just got mine back from the dealership for a u joint replacement. They said normally they wouldn't cover it because of my 315/75/16's but this time they made an exception. I think the real reason though is after doing some research I found that Chrysler was installing the c clips wrong thus causing the caps to come off and the u joint basically explodes after that.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Ok thanks I'm going to call a few dealers an ask if it is covered an if not ill just end up doing it myself
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mook8651
Ok thanks I'm going to call a few dealers an ask if it is covered an if not ill just end up doing it myself
Let me know if the dealers don't work out for you. I got a spare shaft I've been meaning to put a u-joint in. I can show you how I've done it.

Quick Reply: Possible bad u-joint?