Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
Lets assume this is a design issue for the time being (with the heads). I know companies do dumb shit but why would they put all their eggs in one basket with one motor in so many models?
Originally Posted by nakednuns
It is like GM and their 6.0 liter V8. One motor with some variences for fitment make it more cost effective. Example, my Pontiac G8 with a 6.0 had few differences than the 6.0 in GM's trucks.
Volume, increased inventory turns and increased margins.. fewer parts to manage and maintain, obsolesence, discontinuance and end of life issues.... the list goes on.

Welcome to my world... except I'm in medical device manufacturing.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I doubt this comment will do any good but, hey! Chrysler! We know you read this stuff. YOU know we are a loyal bunch. This 3.6 was suppose to take the "unreliably, it's a jeep thing" away from the name. Stand up on your hind legs and fix this problem! Stop hiding in the weeds! Use "just a little" more of our tax dollars maybe, get it right. Be done with it.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by carolinajk
cnc tooling wears down and wears out , if not changed in time you have x number of widgets with borderline or out of spec tolerances. lifterbores etc , this should be caught during random qc . or perhaps their is a problem with the casting process or aluminum alloy used that is only showing up at random because of a supplier qc problem . i can say that in my line of work that supplier qc is a huge factor at times . whether it is in materials used for a process or the process itself deteriorating over time . also due to demand this shit could be rushed without proper qc steps being taken by supplier or end user but i would bet anything it is a manufacturing problem , but ive been wrong before lol
I agree with you 100% .... many times I would have a line down in manufacturing and parts wouldn't pass final test. The raw materials would be okay for 9 months and then something would change.

Design or manufacturing? On the surface I'd say manufacturing...

In this case the root cause was design... primarily because the raw material specifications were never characterized from the beginning - relying on 100% test and inspection after final assembly to weed out the bad parts. Process Engineering could never figure out why this line went down.. it went on for years.

An outsiders viewpoint, I had my own theories.... basically bolid down to lack of proper raw material specifications and manufacturing couldn't control the process.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carolinajk
apparently these engines underwent the equivalent of 16 MILLION miles of testing preproduction and chrysler even went the extra step of sending jack roushes engineering folks a batch of them to see if they could find any potential problem areas and they recieved a thumbs up. which leads me to believe that it IS a manufacturing or process problem and not a design flaw. maybe some tolerances are on the high inside of spec or whAtever . it does seem on the surface though that chrysler didnt just throw these out there and hope for the best . i believe that they are as anxious to see this resolved as anyone . in cases where there are multiple failures to a customers vehicle or an inordinate amount of time before repairs can commence i still think the customer should have the option of chrysler buying back their vehicle and maybe get a new one when the problem is resolved .it would be like "hey , we owe you a jeep " that being said what could occur in the real world that wasnt uncovered during all that testing ?
My Nephew's Girlfriends Dad is part of the Powertrain Design group that brought the Pentastar to fruition. We had some interesting discussions last Thanksgiving when my wife and I went out to Michigan to visit the family.

They really went above and beyond with the development cycle on this motor. I'd bet a small fortune that some ass clown procurement type or mfg production "streamline" six-sigma ass clown found a way to save $00.0005 by deviating from the original spec.

Imagine the meetings in Auburn Hills now, oh the .ppt's and e-mails are flying each one just trying to cya and blame someone else.

btw, build 9/11 6K miles and really no tick to speak of. Usual Injector but nothing really out of the usual. I feel horrible about this though, when I first picked up this 12 Rubi I let a buddy of mine at work drive it (he had a TJ and we wheeled together). Well he fell in love with it and ordered a beautiful Rubi that came in two months later. He drives his as a commuter and now 14K miles...boom... He was hearing the tick start, then a check engine, then misifre and now waiting for a head. Ironic since he Pavement Princess his and I just beat the crap out of mine. The only thing I can think of is I changed the fluids out to all synth at 500 miles.

If it grenades, it grenades, i'm fine with it. Chrysler will get it sorted and do the right thing eventually. The only thing I have going on is some intermittent roll over noise in the trans, which might be the clutch plate. that is sort of pissing me off, I also have an 08 with 24K and I am setting up for the third clutch and throw out bearing change. I usually give the mechanical issues on the Jeeps a wide pass since what we put them through off road (you know, if it has t@ts or tires you'll have problems with it at some point). However, I'm not going down the damn Singer Sewing machine clutch noise road with this 12.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the head on order... The dealer has been stand up about it and working with me. He knows that I know that he knows there is a problem. Was getting the P0306 code and now getting a P0300 so more than one is doing it now. Also got a P3000 that I'm not finding the meaning to (help?)..

Mine is an 8/11 build and now has over 22K on the clock. It had a small tick when purchased but like others thought valve train but it has gotten a lot louder of late. As for oil change... Changed mine out at 500miles with Modil 1 ... then at 2,000 miles. Now every 4,000 miles it has been changed so I'm into 7 oil changes in the first year. Don't think the oil has anything to do with it... Just my 2-cents.

Still happy and as long as the replacement goes easy I'm fine. They will be calling me when the head is in and I hope to not have it out of my hands for too long. Just wondering how long getting the head will take.

Sorry if some of this was already answered... Just have not had the chance to ready all the postings... That in itself should tell Jeep something.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found out that the first batch of cylinder heads the dealers got were missing the oil
plug hiding under the camshaft causing the variable valve timing to be inop. and
cause low oil pressure. Chrysler released a T.S.B. reminding the tech to install the plugs
to the new head. Now they are shipping the heads with the oil plug installed.
The 3.6L was given to VW for the exhange for the TDI diesel. Now I know why Chrysler
doesn't have the TDI.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by egeli
The 3.6L was given to VW for the exhange for the TDI diesel. Now I know why Chrysler
doesn't have the TDI.
Huh?
Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

doesn't have the TDI.

What the hell does this mean?
Old 06-25-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

If he means the VW 3.6L then that's wrong. That engine's been around for 6-7 years or more.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

2011 VW Routan has the Pentastar google it wonder if their having the same problems

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines