JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/possible-problems-some-3-6-pentastar-engines-227770/)

Sunkist Rubi 07-28-2012 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by jasonl (Post 3135283)
Funny people mention the paranoia when we read stuff like this.... I watched a few you tube videos on the ticking noise. At least 1/2 of them were normal valve train / injector noise and the bad ones were pretty obvious. I have noticed the last few mornings I get an initial lifter noise for about 1-2 seconds from sitting all night until the oil is picked up. I know this is common on a lot of engines especially in the cold (even though it isn't cold) However, I haven't noticed this on my wifes 11 GC Pentastar. I am not worried as I am only 1,700 miles into my warranty.

It's been a while since I re-addressed this problem. All you people should go through and read this posting thoroughly. It is NOT NORMAL for a hydraulic lifter engine to tic after sitting overnight.

Just to update everybody; my engine has had the driver's side head replaced and now has just over 3000 miles with no tic whatsoever. Chrysler will fix your Jeeps, its called a warranty; the dealer may jerk you around. If this happens call Chrysler directly and complain.

By reading these threads you will see many people have did just that. It's truly amazing what you can learn if you spend some time and READ.

Chadc880 07-28-2012 02:12 PM

From the pentastar website

Cylinder head failures
In June 2012, dealers reported that some engines had premature cylinder head failures, usually on cylinder 2. The problem seems rare considering the number of these engines produced, and nobody was stranded by the problem, which made itself known through the "check engine" light. Customers were generally given loaner cars while the issue was being resolved, though in some cases there was a considerable delay as Chrysler engineers sought root causes and an effective cure. A fix was engineered and entered production in June, and by mid-July, the backlog of replacement heads was being addressed, and all new heads were of the new design.

Wendy.Jeepchick 07-28-2012 02:16 PM

Thanks. Very interesting. My JKUR was stalled in "final inspection" at the end of May. No known cause, customer service would only speculate. I finally took delivery in mid-June. Wonder if I have the newly engineered head.

Wendy.Jeepchick 07-28-2012 04:15 PM

Is there a way to check which JK's have the pentastar with the re-engineered heads? Can a dealer use a vin number to find out this information?

Wendy.Jeepchick 07-28-2012 04:37 PM

I've obtained info from another Jeep forum. The part number for the original factory head and the part number for the re-engineered replacement heads. Having the part numbers may enable those who have to have a new head installed, verify that it is actually a re-engineered head not just a new head but same part #.

Replacement Head: RL141353AB
Original Head: RL141353AA

Chadc880 07-28-2012 06:00 PM

This article really puts all the prior build date questions to rest.

If your Jeep was delivered before this date then you could have issues.

jkrubcon 07-28-2012 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wendy.Jeepchick
I've obtained info from another Jeep forum. The part number for the original factory head and the part number for the re-engineered replacement heads. Having the part numbers may enable those who have to have a new head installed, verify that it is actually a re-engineered head not just a new head but same part #.

Replacement Head: RL141353AB
Original Head: RL141353AA

Where is this part number found on the head ?

Wendy.Jeepchick 07-28-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by jkrubcon (Post 3137057)
Where is this part number found on the head ?

I don't know. But, for those who have them already installed at the dealer, their invoice should have the part number. The rest of us may be SOL until we get the CEL.

Gort 07-28-2012 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wendy.Jeepchick (Post 3136666)
Thanks. Very interesting. My JKUR was stalled in "final inspection" at the end of May. No known cause, customer service would only speculate. I finally took delivery in mid-June. Wonder if I have the newly engineered head.

Interesting -- I have a 5/30/12 build date on my Rubi (almost like yours except that I have an auto and 3.73 rear). I'd bet that if you have the new head then I probably do, too. Since I didn't order mine (lot buy), I don't know if it was held for the same reasons as yours, but I sure am curious.

Wendy.Jeepchick 07-28-2012 11:20 PM

It would be nice to know how difficult it would be to located the part number on the head.