JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/possible-problems-some-3-6-pentastar-engines-227770/)

Detonatorunlimited 07-29-2012 02:27 AM

Just saying but I never had a CEL and my jeep wasn't throwing any codes, all it had was a noticeable tick on the left side of the motor with 1000km. I am currently waiting on a back-ordered head.

nakednuns 07-29-2012 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sunkist Rubi (Post 3136607)
It's been a while since I re-addressed this problem. All you people should go through and read this posting thoroughly. It is NOT NORMAL for a hydraulic lifter engine to tic after sitting overnight.

Just to update everybody; my engine has had the driver's side head replaced and now has just over 3000 miles with no tic whatsoever. Chrysler will fix your Jeeps, its called a warranty; the dealer may jerk you around. If this happens call Chrysler directly and complain.

By reading these threads you will see many people have did just that. It's truly amazing what you can learn if you spend some time and READ.

:thumbsup:

nakednuns 07-29-2012 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wendy.Jeepchick (Post 3136835)
I've obtained info from another Jeep forum. The part number for the original factory head and the part number for the re-engineered replacement heads. Having the part numbers may enable those who have to have a new head installed, verify that it is actually a re-engineered head not just a new head but same part #.

Replacement Head: RL141353AB
Original Head: RL141353AA

YIKES!!!!!! Just looked at my invoice for my head replacement. RL141353-AA!!! I sure hope I don't have the same issue again! ONE head replacement was enough!!!

Gort 07-29-2012 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wendy.Jeepchick (Post 3137296)
It would be nice to know how difficult it would be to located the part number on the head.

After reading your post about the old/new head part numbers, I went down to my garage late last night with a flashlight and a hardcopy of the PNs. I wasn't able to locate anything resembling the part number on the left head. I didn't feel like disassembling anything in the wee hours of the morning just to look for a PN, though I did notice what appeared to be a serial number laser etched into the left side near the exhaust manifold, hidden under some wiring from the harness. I also found the label with the engine assembly part number on the right valve cover as well as a miscellany of part numbers on everything else under the hood.

So I'll be patiently waiting until someone in the know posts the location of the head part number -- hopefully there will not be major disassembly required to find it.

Wendy.Jeepchick 07-29-2012 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by nakednuns (Post 3137549)
YIKES!!!!!! Just looked at my invoice for my head replacement. RL141353-AA!!! I sure hope I don't have the same issue again! ONE head replacement was enough!!!

Ouch. Sorry. I hope you don't have the same issue later as well. From the info I'm gathering, it seems that my engine was produced with the original heads, even though the re-engineered heads were available at the same time my JKUR was being built. I know that the tic issue seems to be happening only to those engines produced prior to April 2012. But I believe that's beause the post-April JK's don't have enough miles yet.

Detonatorunlimited 07-29-2012 11:57 AM

How many km do you have on yours nakednuns? How is it holding up? Has the root cause been pinned down yet on anyone who already had the replacement?

nakednuns 07-29-2012 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Detonatorunlimited (Post 3137922)
How many km do you have on yours nakednuns? How is it holding up? Has the root cause been pinned down yet on anyone who already had the replacement?

A little over 3000 miles so far. No issues as of yet. I am keeping my fingers crossed nothing will develop! IF I have another head issue, Chrysler WILL buy this jeep back...that is a promise! LOL
I know it only took 2500 miles for the tick to start and 5000 miles for it to be REALLY LOUD. So, as now, it seems to be ok. LOL I will definatley keep everyone informed the moment I have another issue.

As far as the root cause, No one has heard what the problem was with the heads. My buddy at the dealership told me Chrysler has not released that information to them. Ohhhh... They have had head replacements of Jeep wranglers with a build date of JUNE OF THIS YEAR!!! One came off the transport to the dealership already TICKING!!! Kinda Sucks to hear that! I reeally do not think anyone is immune until they use up all the old stock of heads. They replaced a Grand Cherokee 3.6 Motor because it dropped a valve. Build date they said was January of this year I think is what they said.

Antisimplistic 07-31-2012 01:51 PM

Head's up, all. I got a call yesterday from the parts department. My replacement head had arrived, but had to be hastily returned after notification from GM that it was not the correct version. I got the impression the dealer had to send several back. I asked for the p/n of what they received - RL141353AA. This jives with Wendy's findings about the re-engineered head being p/n RL141353AB.

I have to wonder why the AA versions are still available...

Dozer12 07-31-2012 03:48 PM

I quoted parts at two dealerships today. "Dealer X" was out of RL141353AB due to a "20,000 unit national backorder." The parts guy said it could be months before I can get my hands on one. Surprisingly though "Dealer Y" had an AB in stock for $400. I have my first appointment with a tech on Saturday. Should I shell out the 400 bucks just in case?

74CJ5 07-31-2012 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Antisimplistic
Head's up, all. I got a call yesterday from the parts department. My replacement head had arrived, but had to be hastily returned after notification from GM that it was not the correct version. I got the impression the dealer had to send several back. I asked for the p/n of what they received - RL141353AA. This jives with Wendy's findings about the re-engineered head being p/n RL141353AB.

I have to wonder why the AA versions are still available...

Ya, the replaced my cylinder head with a bad head that should have been sent back. They ran it for about 2 min and it seized up. 3 weeks today without my Jeep. My "new" head is supposed to arrive this week. We'll see.