Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Possible Tick?

Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Tick?

I was leaving my buddy's house last night and when I started up the jeep, I heard what sounded like a ticking coming from the engine. It only lasted for about 2-3 seconds, then went away. I'm no mechanic, but I've heard engines tick before and it sounded almost the same. I'll probably check the oil level when I get home from class. Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem or the solution? Thanks y'all!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most vehicles tick to some extent for a couple of seconds after start up, until the oil circulates. But I am no mechanic either.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Yeah that was my original thought. I just find it strange because it doesn't normally do that. Hopefully it's just a one time thing, and I don't have an oil burner
Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

It appears that theres no anti drain back valve in the oil filter on 3.6L engines.Maybe it doesn't need one with the high mount of the filter
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Well, I have the 3.8 so I don't think that's my issue lol. It seemed normal today when I drove, so I'm thinking the oil cycled out.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the anti-drain back valve on the filter. I've tried different filters and found that the stock filter was the best of the couple I tried. You'll get a tick at start up if the filter drained back.

Quick Reply: Possible Tick?