Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

power loss question

Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power loss question

I have an 07 with 97k miles. The last couple of weeks when I first start it (after it's been sitting a couple of hours) it hesitates and loses almost all power. After I get it up to speed it doesn't do it again. The abs light also comes on for a minute. It's not the fuel quality. What should I look for?

Last edited by HBC; 02-22-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Suggest finding someone good at trouble-shooting with a scan tool (not just a code reader) to monitor/record various engine parameters while driving, when it's having the problem.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you do the dance to check for any codes? Does it feel like it is in limp mode from the computer or an engine problem?

What kind of transmission do you have?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 AM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Suggest finding someone good at trouble-shooting with a scan tool (not just a code reader) to monitor/record various engine parameters while driving, when it's having the problem.

Will do! Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 AM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
Did you do the dance to check for any codes? Does it feel like it is in limp mode from the computer or an engine problem?

What kind of transmission do you have?

Haven't checked the codes, yet. It sounds almost like 'grinding' as it's losing all power. It feels like it's flooded, or has water in the fuel. My way of pushing through it so far has been to 'floor it'. It slowly builds up speed and then takes off fast.

I was thinking maybe a fuel filter, vacuum leak, or restricted air flow. Any thoughts?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HBC

Haven't checked the codes, yet. It sounds almost like 'grinding' as it's losing all power. It feels like it's flooded, or has water in the fuel. My way of pushing through it so far has been to 'floor it'. It slowly builds up speed and then takes off fast.

I was thinking maybe a fuel filter, vacuum leak, or restricted air flow. Any thoughts?
Vacuum leak will trip a code almost instantly. check your oil! Make sure its not seizing up from low oil! But i think you had a good suggestion...with it being a few years old and getting up there in mileage..the fuel filter may be clogging up, you can try tapping on it with a screwdriver handle and see if it helps with the lack of power, maybe it will help pinpoint the problem, but the filter clogging won't set a code and it would feel like its flooding out so to speak...could the grinding be really loud spark knock? Have you ran a tank of 93 through it just to see if the noise goes away. Your knock sensors could pull so much timing due to knocking that you loose power
Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

My first thought is a wheel speed sensor -- Of if your steering is drastically out of whack, ESP kicking in.

Does the grind come from under the hood? A muffled blender-like noise? If so, that is probably the ABS pump.

When ABS/ESP kicks in, the ECU pulls power out of the motor - which makes it feel like it falls on it's face. The traction or ESP light (whatever it is) will flash when it's activated.

A faulty wheel speed sensor (if it's reading low, not just flat out bad) could trigger ESP. If steering is not properly centered, ESP can be prematurely activated when turning in one direction.

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by efan450
Vacuum leak will trip a code almost instantly. check your oil! Make sure its not seizing up from low oil! But i think you had a good suggestion...with it being a few years old and getting up there in mileage..the fuel filter may be clogging up, you can try tapping on it with a screwdriver handle and see if it helps with the lack of power, maybe it will help pinpoint the problem, but the filter clogging won't set a code and it would feel like its flooding out so to speak...could the grinding be really loud spark knock? Have you ran a tank of 93 through it just to see if the noise goes away. Your knock sensors could pull so much timing due to knocking that you loose power

Thanks! I was thinking 'vacuum leak'. Didn't think of the oil and will check it. I've run 93, put SeaFoam, changed stations, etc., so I know it's not the actual fuel. I would hate to take it to the dealer...
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yo_marc
My first thought is a wheel speed sensor -- Of if your steering is drastically out of whack, ESP kicking in.

Does the grind come from under the hood? A muffled blender-like noise? If so, that is probably the ABS pump.

When ABS/ESP kicks in, the ECU pulls power out of the motor - which makes it feel like it falls on it's face. The traction or ESP light (whatever it is) will flash when it's activated.

A faulty wheel speed sensor (if it's reading low, not just flat out bad) could trigger ESP. If steering is not properly centered, ESP can be prematurely activated when turning in one direction.

I need to have my front end aligned. I 'whacked' a huge rock on the trail and my BAS and ESP lights have been on ever since. The ABS light is the one that has only recently been coming on when the power fails. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

The last post helped with the additional info. You just need to have it aligned and steering wheel straigtened. Your electronics thinks that your having wheel sping. This happened to me when my steering wheel was no longer straight after wheeling. I'm betting this is what it is.

Quick Reply: power loss question