Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Power Steering noise

Old 06-28-2020, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering noise

My Jeep's power steering is making a "chirping noise" and I was wondering if this was something with the pump itself or the pulley. I know you can replace the pulley but I don't know if that would solve the problem. It goes away after warming up for about 3 - 5 mins or immediately if I spray it with some WD-40. The belt is at about 95% and looks brand new almost.

The only power steering pulley I've ever replaced is like the ones off of an old Saginaw pump from old Chevy motors. Is there a bearing or anything pressed into the pulley itself that goes bad and causes the chirping or is it a sign of pump failure?

I don't think the power steering pump is failing as far as functionality. I have 38" tires and have no problem turning the tires.

Last edited by kyphur; 06-28-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Steering noise