Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

power steering pump

Old 12-30-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering pump

So how hard is it to replace a power steering pump?

I searched around in the forums, but, sadly, no write up.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sladekos
So how hard is it to replace a power steering pump?

I searched around in the forums, but, sadly, no write up.
To replace the pump itself is very simple; pop the belt tensioner & remove the serpebtine belt from the pulley, disconnect the lines, & then remove the mounting bolts & remove the pump from the timing cover (might want to remove the PS fluid from the reservoir first to avoid making a big mess); installation is a reversal of this proceedure. Make sure you get a new pump with the pulley already pressed on to the shaft as otherwize (unless you have access to a hydraulic press yourself) it's a nightmare trying to bang it on with a hammer & a lump of wood and trying not to destroy the new pump in the process.

The tricky bit is to bleed all out the air in the system properly afterwards; depends how careful you are keeping air out of the lines in the first place when you remove & then reinstall them.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Removing/replacing the pump does look pretty straightforward, but what is the process of bleeding the air out of the system?

Also, 07 2 door rubi and an 08 4 dr sahara, I am assuming the power steering pump would be interchangeable... no?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Removing/replacing the pump does look pretty straightforward, but what is the process of bleeding the air out of the system?

Also, 07 2 door rubi and an 08 4 dr sahara, I am assuming the power steering pump would be interchangeable... no?
Whether the pumps are interchangeable, I'm unsure, but the bleeding process shouldn't be too hard. remove the filler cap start the Jeep and turn the wheels lock to lock a few times and check/top off your reservoir and repeat until its full..check it in a couple short trips and you should be good
Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

The pumps are the same. Its pretty simple to do. Theres plenty of room to get at it. Like the other posts say, just make sure to bleed them afterwards. I always jack up the front, take the cap off the reservoir, and then without cranking turn the wheels stop to stop about 5 times, check level add if needed, turn again 5 times, check level again. At this point you can lower it back down, crank it, do the turns again WITHOUT hitting the stops a few times. You will see lots of air bubbles initially then less as you go on.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK, that was easy. This little guy gave me some trouble... let me just say: loosen it first! then unbolt the pump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1987.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	260561

Other than that, it took half a quart to refill the reservoir and I don't think there is really anything else to note.

Oh, and yes... that is the fluid everywhere that you are seeing. I decided I could pull the tube off and plug it with my finger fast enough to drain it into a container.

I couldn't.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

well... replacing the pump did not work. Still loses power steering at low speeds. Anyone have an idea of what to try next?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

If anyone cares... After replacing the worn tires with new tires - problem went away.

Quick Reply: power steering pump