Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Probably a simple issue when emptying coolant...

Old 03-16-2018, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Probably a simple issue when emptying coolant...

I'm planning on draining/re-filling my coolant this weekend ('12 JKUR), but when I've tried before, I can't get the petcock on the drain to turn past 90 degrees. Is it supposed to turn 180 degrees from where it starts, and is there anything else I'm missing about how to get the drain open? I'd really prefer not to break something if it's only supposed to turn so far

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2018, 05:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I had this issue on my 14 but kept turning and it opened. It flopped around and I thought it was broken but it closed again but did not give me the warm and fuzzies. I had to use a pliers as just could not get it otherwise a combination of tight spot and last half a turn is hard. I swear I was going to break it. good luck. Oh and while you have it drained might be a good time to change the T stat. Mine cracked on the very end which was why I need to open the petcock. The OEM T stats are cheap and easy to change.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I can't recall how far mine turned, 90* or 180*, but it was about worthless in general.....both in the speed in which is drained, the the small qty it drained. I'd open it as much as you can, but then I'd pull the lower hose anyhow. the way that lower hose routes leaves a lot of coolant in there. If I recall, draining at my petc0ck netted about a gallon drained if that....and very slowly. My engine was hot, and I ended up pulling the upper hose and pouring distilled back down.....pushing all the old out through the lower hose.....keeping track of what went it and what came out so I knew how much distilled was left inside, then adding concentrate and appropriate bit more distilled to get the 50/50 mixture. It was a bigger pain than it needed to be....and mainly cuz that petc0ck.

Did my wife's Armada this fall and it was as straightforward as it should be. That petc0ck was like Niagara Falls.

Last edited by resharp001; 03-16-2018 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's only 90* that it turns, but yeah, it's terrible for emptying the radiator. Pull the lower hose and go from there.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it loose, finally. Just enjoying a coffee or three while it drains Those needlenose Vice Grips proved their worth...

Quick Reply: Probably a simple issue when emptying coolant...