Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question on 09 6 speed manual transmission

Old 09-02-2009, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on 09 6 speed manual transmission

I am curious and hope other owners or someone with repair experience can provide some insight. I own a Rubicon with the manual transmission. Most of the time the transmission makes what I can only describe as a cheep plastic clicking noise when changing gears. Shifing slowly helps but it just seems wrong. Function is fine, it dosen't seem to be temp. related and sometimes its quiet. I have owned many other manual jeeps cars and the Rubi seems different than all of them in this regard. Any thoughts or others experience would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 09 X has the same issue, but with the lifetime powertrain warranty I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what you problem is. Mine makes the clutch plate chirp sound and the throw our bearing whine sound that has plagued pretty much every JK built. (there are several TSBs for this) My 09 makes a weird clicking sound that sounds like it is in the pedal linkage that the 07 didn't.

The clutch is not covered under the lifetime warranty. You better get it looked at before 12K miles or one year. That is the warranty period.

Even if items are covered by the lifetime, do you want to be stranded on the trail because something broke you knew was screwed up?

BTW the TSB for the TO an Clutch plate is a waste of time. The OEM parts are garbage and will have the same problem in short order after the repair.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Mine is an "08-X" that just turned 14k and hasn't had any issues and fortunately has been shifting fine.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

I have nothing but the normal mechanical noise of a manual transmission when shifting.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

My 09 Rubicon is fairly quite, no tranny noise at all. I got a little bit of whinning from the throwout bearing for awhile but that has gone away. Overall I have about 7800 miles on mine and 7500 of them have been quite.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

i get the same clicking noise on my 07 rubicon...it has had this clicking since it was new..i have 18000 miles on it and no problems..i would not worry about it...
Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 09 and I do not hear the clicking noise. Does this noise come from normal driving or while shifting gears?
Old 09-05-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

The noise is a louder than what I would think is normal only when moving the shift lever. It sounds like the spring or what ever we are pushing against to move out of one gear and into the next (bad description I know). Its not clutch related I can tell its coming from the top of the transmission. What has me most baffled it that its not all the time.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

If i get what your saying your having syncro problem. Makes a clicking noise as you take it out of gear and put it in. No noise in gear or in N. You might take it to the dealer, most cars i have worked on have plastic ones and once there gone you better be ready to shove the gear or double clutch.

Quick Reply: Question on 09 6 speed manual transmission