Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Question about clear coat

Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about clear coat

I am going to polish out some of my trail scratch's and wonder if anyone knows if the 2013 Jeep wrangler (black) has what is considered a soft or a Hard clear coat. Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know that MB uses or used ceramiclear and maybe some expensive higher end Chryslers, but I would doubt the Jeeps have it. I would hit them with a little scratch x and see what it does. If it is hard, then use some 800 grit and go from there. JMHO.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clearcoat

Originally Posted by ralphwiens
I am going to polish out some of my trail scratch's and wonder if anyone knows if the 2013 Jeep wrangler (black) has what is considered a soft or a Hard clear coat. Thanks
Don't use any sandpaper. Use a product made for buffing out scratches. I use 3M Finesse which is a very fine abrasive 'cream' and a buffing machine that spins at less than 2000 rpm. Don't use any rubbing compound, it's way too abrasive. Some of the Mothers products are good too. Do a little at a time and it should take care of any mild scratches. It won't take out those scratches that are so deep that they eat into the primer. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

While 3M products are great (and I use Perfect-it quite often) sometimes it just won't do the job. I use fine sandpaper all the time touching up chips and getting deeper scratches out. It's a balancing act, and you can easily use the higher grit stuff ending with 2000 and have great results hitting it with a polish and an orbital afterwards. Seems so many people are afraid to use sandpaper on their clear. You can't go ape on it obviously but it can safely and easily be done.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sandpaper sounds like the worst idea possible, if you are an experienced body work guy maybe but if you don't know what you are doing?

Use the right tool for the right job

Quick Reply: Question about clear coat