Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Radiator shot, which one to replace with?

Old 02-17-2018, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radiator shot, which one to replace with?

Well I found the source of the antifreeze smell (See photo) now which radiator to buy. Is the CSF radiators any good? I looked at the company and seems there pretty big as far as business's go I guess but has anyone used one?
Old 02-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I replaced my Mopar with another one. It lasted 140k miles, no reason to believe it won't last another 140k.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I replaced my Mopar with another one. It lasted 140k miles, no reason to believe it won't last another 140k.
Well since the stock one only lasted 39,000 miles I think I'll go with CSF brand.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

My OEM radiator was good for 185,000 miles, and the only reason I had it replaced was because I had a bad intake manifold gasket, so coolant was being replaced anyway, and I was headed for the Arctic Circle and didn't want to risk the radiator failing up there. Later on, with the new radiator I'd find some coolant on the fins (not as much as you picture, though) and thought the new radiator was bad. Turned out to be coolant leaking at the thermostat housing, then blowing around and ending up on the radiator.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I have 157,000 miles on my OEM radiator. No problems with it so far. If it should fail in the future, I'll be replacing it with another OEM radiator.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

It sure seems like the newer radiators aren't quite as good as the older ones. You guys with later models sure report getting some really good life out of your factory rads. I'd seen so many newer ones failing really early, seems mainly like '14-'15s I've seen going with under 50k miles which seems redonk....maybe they just had a bad batch during that time period?? I constantly suspect my '13 with 72k miles, but can't find a leak. I've replaced thermostat/housing, and get the typical smell and loss of coolant in the res tank over time.

I just don't think anyone makes a great aftermarket rad. When it comes time, I'll probably just go with another factory unit for lack of a better option.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The radiator on the 3.6 Jeeps have frequent failures. Totally different conversation for the 3.8 guys.
I replaced mine with the Omix-Ada at about 40k. I'm about 75k now with no odor or signs of leaks. Time will tell though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046LSZJW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=pda0ea-20
Old 02-20-2018, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
It sure seems like the newer radiators aren't quite as good as the older ones. You guys with later models sure report getting some really good life out of your factory rads. I'd seen so many newer ones failing really early, seems mainly like '14-'15s I've seen going with under 50k miles which seems redonk....maybe they just had a bad batch during that time period?? I constantly suspect my '13 with 72k miles, but can't find a leak. I've replaced thermostat/housing, and get the typical smell and loss of coolant in the res tank over time.

I just don't think anyone makes a great aftermarket rad. When it comes time, I'll probably just go with another factory unit for lack of a better option.
Did you reuse the factory constant pressure spring clamp, or a common hose clamp? The common hose clamp will leak no matter what you do, and eventually damage your radiator hose.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Did you reuse the factory constant pressure spring clamp, or a common hose clamp? The common hose clamp will leak no matter what you do, and eventually damage your radiator hose.
I just kept the factory clamp.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001

I only got 120K miles out of my OEM radiator on my '09. :( I did the wild goose chase of looking for something that seemed to be better from aftermarket. The ONLY thing I could find in the better category was the Griffin radiators, but that was a $650 option. For myself, It basically boiled down to OEM or OEM design knock-offs, where I went with an OEM replacement, and am crossing my fingers I'll get more than 120K miles out of it this time around.

Does anyone know....do the 2012+ with those hot rod 3.6L Pentastar engines use the same radiator as those of us with the Minivan 3.8L?

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-20-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Radiator shot, which one to replace with?