Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radio swap

Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio swap

Will a radio from a 2008 -2010. Fit and work properly in a 2011? I dindt know if they changed the wiring in the 2011's
Old 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would like to know the definative answer to this too. I have heard both in the past. I know it has to be high speed bus I Know I put a radio from a 2010 Dakota in a 2011 Dakota and it wasnt suppose to be possible but it was and it worked and still works. Now those are low bus speeds but supposedly all the bus speeds were altered in 11 up and I am pretty sure one form an 11 up cant go back to a 2010 down but if I had to bet money I would say yes on the 08 up to the 11 - 12's.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geranamo
Will a radio from a 2008 -2010. Fit and work properly in a 2011? I dindt know if they changed the wiring in the 2011's
According to this FAQ MyGig Frequently Asked Questions F.A.Q. | MyGig models REW, REP, RER, RBZ, REN | MyGigs.eu European Wholesaler | MyGigs.eu European Navigations all the Wranglers from 2007 up use a high-speed bus (CAN-C if memory serves). I swapped the 130 for a 430 in my 2011 JKU -- donor was a Dodge Caravan. Dealer gave me a funny look when I traded it because the model I installed (RBZ) didn't come in the Wrangler in 2011 -- only the REN.

The RBZ that I acquired was from a 2011 model also, so I can't comment on the wiring harness -- you may find something on this FAQ or via your favorite search engine, though.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was curious about buying and installing a uconnect radio from someone who pulled one from their ride.

Anyone have any experience with these and if I'll be able to just plug one up and go or if I'll have to do serious modification? I currently have the standard radio with Sirius XM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

You do not want to buy one form a 2012 unless it comes with the lock code.

Ideally you want an 11 for an 11 up and a 10 for a 08-10.

If you have a standard radio RES or RBZ with the connecitivty group (you already have ucnnect phone)RHB is your best bet because it doesnt have uconnect built in. Neither does the stock radio. But if you have the connectivity package you have uconnect built into the car which plugs into the 430N RHB.

However if you dont have the connectivity package then going from RES RBZ to RHB isnt going to give you uconnect. So in that case you would want to go RBZ or RES to RHR. The problem I am having is when you want to go RHR, because the wrangler has the mic in the pillar and not in the mirror as all other Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge I pretty much want to stay with the RHB because all my plugs will fit and again I already have the connectivity package.

When people talk about the harness being different what that is is the uconnect. The actual vehicle harness is the same however you have no place to plug in what was your uconnect modiue & mic which comes out of it. The fix to this is to run a 52211868 cable from the RHR up the pillar and install a uconnect mirror and hide the wiring under the trim. (or use the mopar $35 mic that u stick somewhere i am too anal to use that) BUT if you do go to RHR and you did have Connectivity Group you must unhook your old uconnect box or the car will get confused. If you go RBZ or RES to RER (2008-2010 model) you will need the nav antenna too because RER uses two separate antennas a blue and a gold while RHR and RHB and 2011 up Chrysler Dodge Jeep cars use an integrated gold which carries both signals. So you will would also have to buy a Nav antenna with the blue plug and stick it t the top of the RER unitbecause cars before 2011 had two separate antennas (the gold in a 11+ will still work on your gold plug for the sirius) . Also there is no place to plug the usb cable that runs to the center console in 2011+ on the RER so your usb port in your consoe (providing you had connectivity package) is not going to work. (There is on the RHR but you have to buy an extension cable to make it stretch all the way to the back of the RHR

You probably will have to go to the dealer ask them to "Starscan your Navigaion to on" Also if you call to trasnfer your sirius they wont do it unless either your dealer makes the call or say you um lie to them and say your calling from the dealer your a tech and doing a equipment swap.... :-)

Now my concern, I am not sure of I was to switch to RHR or RER in a 2012anddisconnect my old uconnect box behind my RBZ and use the uconnect straight from the RER or RHR are my buttons on the wheel still going to work????

I have switched these in many cas but this one seems more tricky because I am retrofitting a mirror. I said in the beginning I was going to and thought the bes idea was to just go with the RHB the problem with that eventhough it is a cheaper radio and supposedly not as good as the RHR, is they are EXTREMEMLY HARD TO FIND used and in price cost more used then a used RHR. So it looks like i am just gonna end up with th autodim uconnect mirror and an RHR because I am usnure about making the uconnect buttons on th wheel inoperable. That would be horrible

Also note RHR Stream music from your bluetooth phone however the RER (2008-10) does not have that capability.
RHB has Garmin Navigation however you can not voice commend it
Both RER and RHR Have Navteq Navigation and the ability to enter directions addresses while your setting still via voice. The RHR and RER also have dead wreckoning which guessed your location when it looses the satellte. The RHB looses the satellite the screen goes blank. The RHB ha a cool speedometer on the screen which also has a little speed limit sign so u know the speed of the raod your on and if you go over your speed turns red. For me this one thing is why I want the RHB over the RHR

Last edited by ccuchris; 07-26-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

In my case where the Uconnect itself isn't really what I want, more of the storage for music would it be worth finding a 430 or 730 or going aftermarket?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeatCurtains
In my case where the Uconnect itself isn't really what I want, more of the storage for music would it be worth finding a 430 or 730 or going aftermarket?
DO u have a USB port in your center console ? if so u can just stick a flash drive with music on it and stream that way even with an RES 130.

A RBZ is only $300 to $400 and has a 30 GB harddrive with Sirius and AM FM CD Basically a RBZ is the same thing as a RHB with out the maps.

If all I wanted was music storage I d go with the RBZ its basically plug and play and you d have a touchscreen.

Make sure you get a high speed and no way Me myself I would ever go aftermarket in a modern car because to do it right your gonna spend as much or more to go just ok aftermarket as you woulda to go high end stock and high end stock brings resale value and aftermarket people imagine the worst cut wires etc is behind that dash. But thats me

Last edited by ccuchris; 07-26-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

A word of caution, not all RBZ radios have the built-in SIRUS tuner. If your 130 is SIRUS enabled, then adding a SIRUS enabled RBZ 430 would be "plug an play" and you would get the 30 Gig HD. If you have a 2011 or 2012 Jeep you can also upgrade to the RHB 430n which also has the Garmin navigation system, provided you start with a 130 SIRUS enabled radio, otherwise you will need to also install an antenna. The RHB uses the same antenna, for both SIRUS and navigation, that is already in your 2011-12 Jeep. Again this upgrade would be "plug and play". I just went from a 130 SIRUS enabled radio to a RHB in my 2011 Sport, it was an easy upgrade. I like the interface that comes with the 430n, it's much simplier to find the music you want to play, either from the HD or flash drive, if you have the USB in the console. And by sticking with RBZ or RHB, all you steerng wheel buttons, as well as, the blue tooth and voice commands options will contiune to work.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alright time to start looking for them. I assume you guys are buying them used at the 300-400 price range.

Quick Reply: Radio swap