Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rain Leaking In

Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saltman
I understand. This is my 6th Jeep, 2nd JK. None ever leaked once except the JKs. They leak constantly.

You are going to find it doesn't matter if you have a hard top or a soft top. That isn't the problem. It's because they curved the windshield and the goofy foam they are dependent on now. The corner where those items meet is the trouble. Over time the foam crushes and the problem gets much worse but both my JKs leaked from day one. They only got worse having the dealer try to fix them. It's an unsolvable problem and best to deal with it.
I agree. My boyfriends 05 TJ has never leaked, but my 08 JK leaks like crazy! And yes, DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER! Warranty doesn't cover it, and it's a waste of money because the problem does not get fixed. Best solution, take out carpet and drain the plugs. Its all you can do so it doesn't get musky or moldy in there...
Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rain leaking in on hardtop

I have '13 two door that leaks on the passenger side only. Usually only when it rains hard. Talked to dealership and they are not to surprised. Approx 10-15% of new vehicles are reporting leaks. They also guess two days to fix it if they have to replace the seals. It leaked before I ever removed the top and once since I have removed and reinstalled the top.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4X4 Arkansas
I have '13 two door that leaks on the passenger side only. Usually only when it rains hard. Talked to dealership and they are not to surprised. Approx 10-15% of new vehicles are reporting leaks. They also guess two days to fix it if they have to replace the seals. It leaked before I ever removed the top and once since I have removed and reinstalled the top.
That's crazy a brand new 2013 should not have this issue! They couldn't solve their manufacturing flaw in a span of 6 years through the JK model years so far?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its funny... my '07 with a second hand soft-top leaked on and off for the first two years. I tried a few temporary repairs to fix it, but never got anywhere. In fact it leaked worse at times.

This year, I think it only leaked once.

I have little reason as to why. My best guess is the way I put the top up. It 'seems' to have a smaller chance of leaking if the last step I take is to fully latch the header only after all the windows are in.

I think it's how jeep wants it done, but at times I run windowless after having the top down. It's best if I unlatch, re-window, then re-latch.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mcmahonbj
What is the cause of my leak, only happens under long extended rains. Happens on both sides but today only the passenger side.

My '10 was in the dealer 4-5 time for the same leak problems. The factory tech even fixed it for a while. I finally got some Armaflex insulation tape from an hvac supply house,cut and
fitted it along the pillar edge where the door gasket meets it top to bottom.This seems to have taken care of the leak but we have not had a heavy rain here yet.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hello everyone...there seems to be multiple answers to this . I have had 5 jeeps in the last 16 years and every one except for my 94 had this issue , some more than others! My last 07 rubicon unlimited had it bad and I had replaced foam along pillar on soft top as another poster recommended. It does do the trick . in my 12 I realized that if you trace the water channel itself in the door frame you will notice a very tiny water well at top of frame (where it picks up from windshield channel) from there it diverts the water down the door. If it is not clean (in my case there was a dead fly) it will cause the water to enter into the vehicle. I just recently applied a tire dressing to each side to lubricate and ease water through those channels and also sured up the double stick foam on each side of my soft top corners again just tracing where it should meet frame and not obstructing where it sits on roof rails as not to obstruct water travel. I too had some water sneaking in but it was as I said because the fly was blocking it's path...also I think the design itself is very easily compromised because if it is a torrential down pour it may not be able to handle the sudden amount of water to exit the top through the drain source. Also as has been said in posts if the door itself is not seated correctly (hinge adjustment) this could crimp that water well or make the water downward travel impossible. If you trace the path of your door seals u will see what I am talking about . It's not rocket science but you would have thought this would be a thing of the past specially seeing that this is an ancient issue, and Chrysler should have put some effort into a complete new design. As far as hard tops ..there is a pdf out there describing the many reasons why water comes in and where and what solutions should be followed but the biggest was because the two knobs are overtightened allowing the fronts of the T's to raise a little at the windshield resulting in water coming into the cab over the radio area. When you buy a new Jeep this is an issue that should not be dealt with but because I do not want anyone touching or making matters worse I will be content with fixing it myself even if it means I need to change out the foam bits when needed.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just thought I would chime in.. My '12 has leaked since day one.. It comes in around the sound bar and runs right down my back as we'll as the passengers.. It spent yesterday in the shop and they have ordered a new top, front and rear.. FYI... There is a revision to the seals on the hard tops.. If you Jeep is under warranty, you would be a fool not to take it to the dealer.. I understand why those wouldn't who are out of warranty.. My rear top is warped and my sealant on the front is faulty... Mine front drivers hard top actually fills up with water (a full gallon after the heavy rains this weekend) and makes a wonderful sloshing noise.. I am getting new tops and the dealer has been great.. 1600 miles and getting a new top.. Chrysler is aware of the problem and has a fix for most hard tops..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4176978790.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	368207   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-817311091.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	368209   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2605092939.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	368210  
Old 09-20-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

They should fix these leaks even out of warranty. It is just very annoying that people are chasing leaks on brand new Jeeps.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Water leak

Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper
Do a search for A-Pillar leaks and you will be overwhelmed with information on this. I had this problem and as others have mentioned it was due to that crappy foam they use to "seal" the top and doors. I just replaced it with some from home depot and I don't have any leak problems anymore.
Ditto: I did the same on my Jeep. It solved the problem.

Quick Reply: Rain Leaking In