Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Random hiccup when driving. No codes

Old 02-15-2018, 02:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random hiccup when driving. No codes

Hey guys, just picked up a 2013 jku with 42k miles on it. Im having a random hiccup when driving seems like when going up hills mostly, but its not throwing any codes and runs completely normal otherwise as well as a smooth idle. Going to check passengers side plugs and coils later today. If anyone has any other suggestions or ideas what it might be i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

It could be a partially clogged injector but anyone else's guess would be as good as mine.

My suggestion would be to purchase a BlueDriver ODBII diagnostic scanner. I know you said you it has no codes, but you would be surprised to find out what the right scanner will show which the basic ones that only read ECM and some PCM codes show. I purchased a used vehicle, and the previous owner scanned for codes with his scanner and found nothing. Prior to purchase, I scanned it with my BlueDriver scanner and it showed codes related to the fuel injection system. He was surprised, and decided to go purchase a BlueDriver since he flips cars regularly. I took the vehicle into the shop for a fuel system flush, and the codes went away and it ran much better, where prior there were random hesitations.

It's possible you are seeing a similar situation.

The BlueDriver requires you to have an iPhone or Android Phone. For the price, it's hard to beat and will give you a lot more information than the other lesser cost diagnostic scanner options. It's a good investment, especially if you're trying to diagnose something hard to find. The other option is that you may drive yourself crazy trying to track it down, and then find yourself resorting to go into the dealership. They'll plug in their scanners which have the same level of capability as the BlueDriver and find a reported code problem easily since the code will reveal itself to their scanners, do the repair for you and send you on your way $500+ or more light in your pocket where just them plugging in their scanner charge will likely cost more than the cost of a BlueDriver.
https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bluetooth-Professional-iPhone-Android/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1518701650&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=BlueDriver+OBD2&psc=1

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-15-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Ok maybe ill try some fuel system cleaner and see if that does anything, but as far a a scanner i have a snapon solus ultra so ill hook it up and see what comes up on the live data graph. On my 55 mi ride to work it did it once. I beat on it a few times on the highway to clear it out hoping maybe that would do something.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Ok so went to go out to dinner with the wife and it completely shut of whiel my wife was driving (45mph) wouldn't start back up till about 10 minutes later. Dealer picked it up and gave us a loaner.....hope they fix it....just got it Tuesday night
Old 02-15-2018, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Me and another person on here had a hiccup issue. We replaced our crank position sensor and the problem went away.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Me and another person on here had a hiccup issue. We replaced our crank position sensor and the problem went away.
ok cool i actually thought about the crank sensor last night because i had a similar problem with my truck and turned out to be the crank sensor....the shop forman at the dealer just called me and insists that its not the crank sensor and acussed me of over filling the tank since i filled it up about 20 miles before it shut off ..i told him the jeep was off and when the pump clicked i didn't put anymore gas in it so your wrong there, and most likely would have triggered a evap code. I told him to test the crank trigger and get back to me. Lol i can stand dealer mechanics.....but thanks for mentioning that it solved your similar problem
Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

My hiccup was always around 1800 rpm. Maybe happened once a week or so, and only for a fraction of a second. The other member on here had the same issue and the crack position change fixed it. I then did the same and mine was fixed. That was over a year ago and the hiccup has never returned.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
My hiccup was always around 1800 rpm. Maybe happened once a week or so, and only for a fraction of a second. The other member on here had the same issue and the crack position change fixed it. I then did the same and mine was fixed. That was over a year ago and the hiccup has never returned.
ok im just going to pick it up today and replace it myself...did you unhook the battery to reset the ecm or use a scanner to relearn the crank sensor?
Old 02-17-2018, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jimbo8v92
ok im just going to pick it up today and replace it myself...did you unhook the battery to reset the ecm or use a scanner to relearn the crank sensor?
I simply replaced it without doing anything else. Took about 10 minutes on a lunch break. It's on passenger side, underneath, in region of the front tire.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Ok well replaced cps with a new mopar sensor last Tuesday. I drove it back and forth to work last week along with some running around over the weekend and put about 600 miles on it..so far so good Really apreciate the help guys!! Now trying to decide what tube fenders i want whiel im saving up some cash lol.

Quick Reply: Random hiccup when driving. No codes