Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Axle Bearing

Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Bearing

My right rear axle bearing had gone out. It was making a horrible rotating grinding sound that would deafen you after a long ride. I replaced it, the retaining ring, and the seal. I thought that I was good. Sound went away, and the problem was resolved. Much to my disbelief, the sound came back with a vengeance A WEEK LATER.

So, I'm thinking about simply buying a new right rear axle shaft. It comes with all the little stuff pre-attached. Cost would be ~$235+shipping to an APO.

Any last ditch advice before I go through with this? I'm at my wits end. The problem was fixed, and now I'm believing that the shaft is bent by a micro degree, or something stupid is going on that is above my level of expertise. Or God hates me. I think he really wants me to learn patience, but this is a funny way of teaching it.

Diff fluid is completely full, replaced the defective bearing, drove slow to make sure it got worked in. I don't know anymore.

Thanks for your time once again, JK-forum.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

In case anyone goes back in time to read old posts:

I eventually found the source of the problem. The total cost of repairs was about 10 minutes and 30 cents. I opened up my rear brake and applied brake grease to the thing. Every part MINUS the brake pad. Grease shouldn't be on the brake pad or rotor!

Sound went away. After an autobahn trip of driving ~150mph+, it came back. Re-did the grease, and the sound went away. Seems like you're not supposed to drive that fast.

High speed, natural wear, and water seemed to be the culprits. And I couldn't figure out that it wasn't the axle or axle bearing. Well, I feel stupid, but on the bright side I upgraded to stronger rear axles. Yay? And I got some mechanical experience out of it. Oh boy! Thanks for help on previous posts.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FallschirmJaeger
In case anyone goes back in time to read old posts:

I eventually found the source of the problem. The total cost of repairs was about 10 minutes and 30 cents. I opened up my rear brake and applied brake grease to the thing. Every part MINUS the brake pad. Grease shouldn't be on the brake pad or rotor!

Sound went away. After an autobahn trip of driving ~150mph+, it came back. Re-did the grease, and the sound went away. Seems like you're not supposed to drive that fast.

High speed, natural wear, and water seemed to be the culprits. And I couldn't figure out that it wasn't the axle or axle bearing. Well, I feel stupid, but on the bright side I upgraded to stronger rear axles. Yay? And I got some mechanical experience out of it. Oh boy! Thanks for help on previous posts.
Your Jeep does a 150 MPH?? Holy crap!! How did you manage that?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

No, it was 150mph+. I bought it in Germany, so it doesn't have a governor for the speedometer. Taking it into 5th gear almost red lining down hill brought the needle to over 270degrees past. 6th gear smoothed out the transmission to a safer rpm, but probably still too hard on it. 0 and 100mph are at 0degrees and 180degrees. I can't give an exact speed, but I think it was as high as 170mph/273kph. I only claim 150mph/241kph, but the cat is out of the bag. Uphill I dropped to about 135-140ish mph, but downhill I could get my speed back up. Naturally I was in a hurry, and it is NOT SAFE to drive that fast, even if it is legal.

Note: Driving in Germany, I don't have anything limiting my speed.

Or just don't believe how fast I said I went. The important part of this post is to identify the problem first, then fix it.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

So 300hp Fbodies did 159mph back in the day, and your saying a 200hp jeep brick did 150?!? I'd keep that story to myself.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

TROLL Get out of here. That is physically impossible. Literally at those speeds..... At about 115 the jeep is completely unstable. COMPLETELY. Sorry callin bs.
Don't care what you say, I can see a drag race with that four door jeep whoopin on that Evo however it had a twin turbo ls3. Now as far as reaching those speeds, it's possible on a stock jeep without anything shy of 700 horses. And to sustain those speeds on a highway, with bumps and unprepared and many days of the year being covered in rain. Get out of here with that b.s. didn't know jeeps came with the optional hopes and dreams motor that runs on unicorn blood and dragon piss.

Last edited by Dawdge; 09-05-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

No, it was 150mph+. I bought it in Germany, so it doesn't have a governor for the speedometer. Taking it into 5th gear almost red lining down hill brought the needle to over 270degrees past. 6th gear smoothed out the transmission to a safer rpm, but probably still too hard on it. 0 and 100mph are at 0degrees and 180degrees. I can't give an exact speed, but I think it was as high as 170mph/273kph. I only claim 150mph/241kph, but the cat is out of the bag. Uphill I dropped to about 135-140ish mph, but downhill I could get my speed back up. Naturally I was in a hurry, and it is NOT SAFE to drive that fast, even if it is legal.

Or just don't believe how fast I said I went. The important part of this post is to identify the problem first, then fix it.

ha ha ha ha, I call hard core BS!!!, 150mph is not possible in a stock jeep. First, you dont have nearly enough power. Second, Wranglers are aerodynamic nightmares, forget about that fact that 150mph drag would be incredible, jeeps are too high off the ground and the upforce at 150mph would make it unstable. Also these are solid axle vehicles, great for flex, bad for onroad stability. The only car I personally have ever gotten up to 150mph was my old STi and even with a ton of downforce and fully independent multi link suspension its still pretty hairy at those speeds.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
So 300hp Fbodies did 159mph back in the day, and your saying a 200hp jeep brick did 150?!? I'd keep that story to myself.
My thoughts exactly. 150 was about the max for gearing 3.23 on my 99 TA with 375 hp. I've gotten my jeep up to 90 and the wind was crazy and didn't feel like it had but maybe 10 mph more.

Last edited by RoysRig; 09-06-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Post Video, or it didn't happen. + you would have had to put like 273 gears in it.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

And I bet you did it in 4low no less too huh?

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Bearing