Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Bumper Staining

Old 08-05-2017, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Bumper Staining

I have a 2017 JKU and every time it rains, it leaves stains on the bumper cover... The dealer already buffer them out once. They also are willing to replace the entire bumper but not sure that will solve the problem.. The tire does not have any cleaner or tire shine on it.. The stains do not come off easily. Wonder if its the stud bolts rusting? not sure.. Any thoughts on how to clean too?.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4475.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	510.2 KB
ID:	673925 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4476.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	673926
Old 08-07-2017, 10:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

That is strange. I'm sure the spare has already been removed and can see if any signs of rust or what not from the carrier studs? tailgate behind the tire shows no similar signs? Nothing on the backside of the spare wheel either I'd assume?

I have always had luck with Meguiar's products. I'm guessing you don't have a rotary buffer already otherwise you probably would have noted trying to buff the heck out of that yourself. I use a Meguiar's product called DACP (dual action cleaner polish). It's not cheap, but is a great product to help remove typical swirls and minor impections. They also have various other arrays of "cutting" compounds for different levels of scratches. I'd typically go at something like that with come DACP on a rotary buffer like a porter cable 7346 to remove it, and then go back over with a high quality synthetic polish/sealer to help protect it from happening again. I really like Four Star's Ultimate Paint Protection....again...not cheap, but 1 bottle lasts forever. I have a bottle that has got to be 7 years old and still has product in it after doing a full 35' motorhome a few times and countless cars.

LOL, I washed/cleaned my jeep for the first time in FOREVER this weekend. Ugh the scratches. Time to get this junk out and clean mine up with it!

I'll be curious to see if you pinpoint what's causing this issue on a brand new jeep.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking some type of road dust that's collecting on your spare & drips down and dries on your bumper. Maybe get a spare tire cover perhaps. Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Staining