Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear clunk - Dealer warranty fail help (Jeep Cares)

Old 05-22-2019, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I went back to dealer and of course they could not reproduce sound. I finally suggested I take them for a drive and finally I was able to reproduce the sound. After being at the shop for 5 hours and they said they couldn't find anything then 1st decided they didn't add enough additive when changing the differential. The clunk was still there. Finally they said they were able to produce sound while it was up on the rack. Control arm bushing. Wasn't able to fix it at that time because they had to order part. I believe I now hear it on the other side so they are ordering 2. Ill touch base after those are fixed and give a verdict.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Hard to think a control arm bushing shot in 3 years time on a stock vehicle. I'd love to see how they created a control arm bushing sound while up on a rack. very very questionable.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Well that's just great! I wasn't convinced they knew what they were talking about. I hear the sound more often now. I am going to be very upset if this doesn't fix it after waiting for the parts now for almost two weeks.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I really don't even see how a service tech at a dealer can go from thinking it's an inside the diff problem to it's a control arm problem. Dealers are idiots. Ugh. I could see having an undertorqued control arm bolt like the discussion way up in this original part of the thread, but I cannot see it having a bad bushing. This is all under warranty right?... so you're really just out time effing around with it. Do you have a torque wrench by chance, or even just a large breaker bar with 21mm socket? You could just verify those bolts are tight.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

It happened after they suggested I have the diff. changed at 36k miles along with a tire rotation. Like the very next day. When I took it back they said they checked all the bolts. I was there for 5 hours (whose to say how much of that time they were actually looking at my vehicle). I just know the clunk happens more often now and it also sounds like its coming from both sides. I don't have access to tools that you have mentioned. Just a girl trying to fix my jeep.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery clunk on acceleration

I had a similar sound in my 2012 JK Sport 2dr. After weeks of searching I found that the long thin jack handle was held tight at one end but the other end slid on acceleration. I took the handle and lug wrench out of its recess near the tailgate. Clunking sound was eliminated! Good luck.

Quick Reply: Rear clunk - Dealer warranty fail help (Jeep Cares)