Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear diff on for sale 2016 rubicon

Old 03-01-2023, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear diff on for sale 2016 rubicon

Hey gang, I’ve been shopping for a used moderate to high mileage JK Rubicon (read 60,000 -100,000 miles) as a third car/camping car. I found a 2016 Rubicon with 62,000 miles for a very fair price good service records, no rust.

Question is, at 60,000 miles just before trade in the Carfax states, the rear differential was replaced, and axle seals were replaced on the rear. Should this raise flags? Why would they replace the rear diff and trade it in immediately? Ultimately, I know I need to drive it and listen for whining from the rear diff and feel how smooth it is, but it’s five hours away so don’t want to waste my time.

Disclaimer, I did search prior threads and realize that replacing the rear DEF is not uncommon at around 60,000 miles, but no information on specifically whether this would dissuade someone from buying a used vehicle. If there’s a thread that address is this, please post it and we can delete this one and I apologize.thanks!!
Old 03-01-2023, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I wouldn't worry about that one bit. It's not quite clear what was actually done or why, but I still wouldn't worry about it myself. People will swap axles, regear to different gear ratios etc all the time. Gears can blow up, lockers die, etc....all those mechanical things are NBD. These things are just very different than your run of the mill car in that regard. I wonder if they just mean the rear diff oil was changed as a regular service. I say that cuz dealers aren't really known to replace gears if blown up.....they typically try to swap the entire axle housing (which makes no sense but they do). Anyhow, just an opinion, but it wouldn't bother me.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I wouldn't worry about that one bit. It's not quite clear what was actually done or why, but I still wouldn't worry about it myself. People will swap axles, regear to different gear ratios etc all the time. Gears can blow up, lockers die, etc....all those mechanical things are NBD. These things are just very different than your run of the mill car in that regard. I wonder if they just mean the rear diff oil was changed as a regular service. I say that cuz dealers aren't really known to replace gears if blown up.....they typically try to swap the entire axle housing (which makes no sense but they do). Anyhow, just an opinion, but it wouldn't bother me.

Cool thanks! This is the exact carfax entry. I did some research on the shop and it’s a well respected one near ATL
Old 03-01-2023, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,622 Posts

You might be able to give them a call and see if they have record of what they actually did. I'd find it a little more odd the jeep was having AC issues.

Quick Reply: Rear diff on for sale 2016 rubicon