Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear locker trouble

Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear locker trouble

I have a 2007 jku and when I put it in 4lo and hit the locker switch the rear just blinks, the front does lock. I have jacked it up and spun the tires by hand and they go in opposite directions. Last night I checked for 12v at the connector and it has it. I also removed the dif cover and checked the wires inside, nothing appears broken. I hooked 12v to the connector on the axle and I heard a very faint click but no movement inside and I spun the tires by hand and still they went opposite directions. The part that has me confused is if I turn the ring gear by hand they go the same direction. So what else can I check or do I have a bad locker? What are the replacement options?
Thanks in advance for your help
Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

when you turn your lockers on are you letting the jeep roll forward a bit?

sometimes the teeth have to get aligned just right for the locker to LOCK.
mine will blink sometimes till I roll forward a few feet and the teeth get lined up and the locker will
eventually lock.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CreepJeep
when you turn your lockers on are you letting the jeep roll forward a bit?

sometimes the teeth have to get aligned just right for the locker to LOCK.
mine will blink sometimes till I roll forward a few feet and the teeth get lined up and the locker will
eventually lock.
Yes I tried that. I even tried spinning the tires while it was on jack stands.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

I was having front locker problems it was just blinking I've only used them three times, but on my second time the front would go solid then start blinking then back to solid and so on at low speeds. The third time I used them it would only blink after worrying my ass off that I was going to have to replace them I read online about a bad connection. So i went and bought electrical connector cleaner at the parts store for $6 bucks cleaned the two connectors on diff and boom I'm back in business! So relieved..
Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front locker light constantly blinks while engaged. I did the same thing and jacked it up with all 4 off the ground. Even with the light blinking the front is locked. When i try to spin the front tire by hand its not possible while locked. Once I unlock the tires go in opposite direction. I just need to find out why the front locker blinks all the time while engaged. Rear locker light stays on constantly while engaged. I'm hoping in your case its just an electronic sensor.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Surf City Dan
My front locker light constantly blinks while engaged. I did the same thing and jacked it up with all 4 off the ground. Even with the light blinking the front is locked. When i try to spin the front tire by hand its not possible while locked. Once I unlock the tires go in opposite direction. I just need to find out why the front locker blinks all the time while engaged. Rear locker light stays on constantly while engaged. I'm hoping in your case its just an electronic sensor.
I think mine was locking the whole time too but the sensor wasn't showing it was try cleaning those connectors I'm sure you have the same problem I did

Quick Reply: Rear locker trouble