Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear wheel vibration almost caused me to lose both wheels! HELP!

Old 09-01-2014, 02:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any idea if and when the original owner rotated the tires over the course of the 20k+ miles he had it? my snarky comment about 23k miles without being rotated could still be relevant about causing a tire shimmy that may have worked the nuts loose, or not. At any rate it never hurts to add checking your lugs for tightness to regular maintanence, say when you wash the jeep, or every time you get back from using it on a weekend out playing, or right before you go out to play, takes only a second per lug to put the wrench on and make sure they are snug.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by FLJKU
When I get off work today I will add some pictures. They are the factory lugs with the factory locking lug nuts. There was not any plasti dip on the back of the wheel at all. The front wheels were completely fine. Not a loose lug on them.
Okay. And I assume that now the Jeep is driving just fine--no suspicious vibration--since you haven't mentioned that. Pictures may reveal something, but I'm inclined to agree with whoever said just come back and check the torque on them after a few hundred miles--meanwhile keep an eye on them. One suggestion that's probably not an issue, but you might check your torque wrench against another one. Borrow one from a friend and ensure that it gets about the same readings as yours.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after taking everything apart it would appear my neglect in making sure the rears were torqued properly is what caused it.

Mystery solved I'm an idiot to put it eloquently. Total damage is one sheared stud and a new rim (which may make me jump and buy four new ones).

If anybody needs wheel studs I have 9 brand new extra ones now lol....

Quick Reply: Rear wheel vibration almost caused me to lose both wheels! HELP!