Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear wheel well repair!

Old 02-06-2024, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Rear wheel well repair!

Well last fall my JK got hit on the passenger side, they knocked the fenders off on the passenger side and while deciding if I wanted to make this suck into a win, I decided I better take off all fenders to help me gauge damage and how much I care.

I ran across this while checking things out.

When I saw the rust holes, I opted to remove as much rust as possible and proceed to prime and paint it.

Now it's time to do some patching.
I really didn't care much, until I saw the holes that are into the body channel.
so I'm figuring I'm going to patch in some 22 gauge.
My Mig welder is really just rated to go as low as 20 gauge but playing around with it I have had some success by doing little spot welds to help control the heat, and then do grinding to make it presentable.

So far, I have mostly just used it on 1/4in, I gusseted and sleeved the front axle to prevent the 35's from bending the dana 30, plus I wasn't sure if my front axle got bent in the accident or not.
Seemed like an easy way to gauge if it's bent or not.

My other thought is to just say fk it and stuff some jb weld in there and paint it.
Old 02-06-2024, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

I would do the patching then use POR 15 on it as that stuff sticks like shit to a blanket then undercoat it. That will seal it for good.
The following users liked this post:
JFish'n (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have some "Weldable" primer that I'll use on the backside of the repair to go along with this.
the can says "better than zinc plating"...
Mostly I'm going with "won't kill you when you weld it"

I also want to weld up the pinch seam where I trimmed it following instructions for 35in tire clearances.
I already did the other side, but I still need some grinding to make it presentable.

but then I put on some Terraflex control arms that moved the wheel away from the pinch seam, so I might end up trimming the back side of the wheel well, or adjust the rear axle in a bit.

Important part about all of this, the jeep isn't "lame" any longer.

Now i have a little story on the passenger side (until I figure out how to fix that)

Can't see it too well, but you can see the dent the "gouge" left on the front and rear doors.

Important part, that gouge nearly paid me back for the original purchase price of this JK.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by JFish'n
Important part, that gouge nearly paid me back for the original purchase price of this JK.
I would take that trade any day with one of these rigs.
The following users liked this post:
JFish'n (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I would take that trade any day with one of these rigs.
What amazed me when shopping is how much people wanted for a high mileage JK.
Heck one I'm sort of watching is a 3.6l JKU with a blown engine.
Even has missing parts from it and body damage.

How much do they think it's worth?
$15k
It's just a sport too.

There was another one where they were asking 10k for a green one that looked pretty decent.
Listed as knocking and needing a new engine, but I was wondering if it was just the rockers or camshaft.

It also had the 3.6, and that means my costs go up for something that I value under 12k with 280 miles on it.

I still think I scored this JK so cheap due to it having a trashed interior, body damage, and a severe rod knock, the sketchiest thing was the out of state title.
Also the 29in tires didn't help it's case.

What it looked like when I came home with it.

I probably should have done a build thread or something.
Poster child for "how cheap can this be done for"

Subtracting the insurance $$ I'm at about $5k total invested.
That includes all the accessories, lift w/shocks, two soft tops, engine rebuild, interior was gutted and trashed, the temporary 35in mud tires ($70 score there), gusset, axle sleeves, and the truss that I haven't installed yet.
While shopping for parts I scored the factory soft top for $400 in like new condition, the wife is most excited about that one.
She told me I'll have to fight her for the jeep this summer.

Total price is not counting tools I bought for this project of course.
The Mig welder wasn't cheap, well mostly the argon tanks $$$

It has been a fun project, usually my projects exceed the value of the base vehicle in the end.

I still need to do gearing, and I'm planning on a set of BFG's KO2's this spring.

Once this is done, I'm keeping an eye open for another blown engine deal.
The wife expressed her interest in one that she could make all girly, but I see money to be made if I can reproduce the deal I got.

Having a jeep for a summer, I get it now.
I absolutely love this thing.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel well repair!