Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing front seats and what not to do.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing front seats and what not to do.

I'm going to spray my interior with raptor liner. I'm done all the prep in the back of the jeep but have left both front seats in because i'm concerned of throwing a code and not being able to start the jeep which I read can happen. So i know you should disconnect the battery before disconnecting the connecters under the seat. Can I reconnect the battery and move the jeep while the seats are out of the front. I want to be able to move the jeep in and out of the garage during the process of the mod.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO you cannot.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

When you do disconnect any connections just be careful with the plastic clips as they tend to break very easily if you pry to hard to get them apart. If you have to disconnect any yellow connections be aware that these are airbag connections and yes the battery should be disconnected although the possibility of setting one off is remote. Once you have all your wires wrapped up and out of the way, bed lining the rest of the jeep should be a breeze!! You should be able to drive it in and out with no issues without a seat?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

So who is correct? One person says you can and the other says no. Anybody else?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggy
So who is correct? One person says you can and the other says no. Anybody else?
I would say you're fine. The Seatbelt buckle might throw a code because it is diconnected, but there should be nothing else inside the seat that would disable the jeep. Even if it does throw a code, it should clear itself once plugged back in.

2cents
Old 04-03-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakspire
I would say you're fine. The Seatbelt buckle might throw a code because it is diconnected, but there should be nothing else inside the seat that would disable the jeep. Even if it does throw a code, it should clear itself once plugged back in.

2cents
Agree with you here and as for driving it, I have driven other vehicles with front seats removed and electrical disconnected, not sure why Jeeps would be different. If you have too, put it in N and PUSH!!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Some codes are there but they don't surface. I have an aftermarket radio and I pulled codes with my superchips and there is actually a code stored in the computer because I don't have the factory radio in there.

But- there is only one way to find out..........
Let us know if the Jeep explodes - I'm digging in just in case
Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Any more imput or am I over thinking this.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

as far as your airbag going off, its very unlikely. airbags arent like grenades, they dont blow up if you drop them. they are set off by sensors in the car when a movement is abrupt enough. or a sudden change in direction (getting Tboned).
Old 04-04-2011, 02:59 AM
JK Junkie

i have drivin mine a short distance without the front seats..or anything plugged in. with no error codes or problems..

Quick Reply: Removing front seats and what not to do.