Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing a supercharger? Worth it? How hard?

Old 03-11-2024, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing a supercharger? Worth it? How hard?

So I've been doing extensive research on this. Different forums. Messaging Magnuson. My own perceptions.

My supercharger, isn't good. Not many people's seem to be and I don't see any extra power. I have a multigauge and I don't see much boost unless I'm high in the rpm range and the most I've seen is about 3psi. The rpms flutter. The transmission hardly shifts unless I lift the pedal.... And all of this is known by magnuson and considered normal.

I've found 2 threads now where people removed their blowers and flashed their ecm back to stock and feel so much better regarding performance.

I've only seen a couple other threads where tuners were able to pick apart the transmission tuning and make the Jeep quicker and more powerful.

I do have a supercharged Titan with a Magnuson blower and it's quicker than my Lotus. So I am relatively familiar with quickish vehicles. My jeep is so slow. It's beautiful but slow. My old heavy H3 Alpha with a v8 was quicker stock with less hp and tq and it always felt slow to me... And it makes me feel like a snail in this JK.

Any tips? Tricks? Ideas? Is reverting back to stock a stupid idea? Is it pricey? Hard? Just feeling confused. I know what I expected, but this isn't it.

Just an FYI, steel bumpers front and rear. A moderate lift. 35s. Swing out tire carrier with a full size spare. So yes weight. If I can manipulate the shifts, I can cruise at 70 just over 2k rpm which is nice.

Thanks.

Last edited by fowlken8; 03-11-2024 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

This is a real tough one. I have no first-hand experience with any forced induction on the Jeep, but I've seen a lot second-hand with friends.....and everything I've seen has been a major pain in the ass. Seen Prodigy turbos along with RIPP and Sprintex superchargers. Most the issues come down to tuning and shifting. Nobody wants to bitch about the power and admit many issues after spending so much money, but if you dig enough you always find a few folks talking about the lack of support once these things are installed. People get sucked in with the power numbers and the fun skinny peddle and then the longer-term issues creep in.

I have to admit, every now and then the thought creeps in my head even though I know better.....and I pinch myself to wake the F up. I had a buddy that had a RIPP on his jeep and he was ready to part with it. For a year he'd bring up the idea of selling it to me and every time I brought it back up he hemmed and hawed. Came time to sell his jeep and I made a push for the RIPP and even said I'd do all the work to transfer things back and forth between our jeeps. He basically saved me from myself.....wouldn't do it. Said only going to be headaches on headaches and not worth the effort. I'm pretty much glad too cuz I've seen so many things generally like this that seemed so great and were nothing but headaches.....like my axle/wheel combo that was too good to pass up. (long story)

Anyhow, all of that really didn't add any value to your story.....and I get we're 1) talking about Magnuson, and 2) that you have a ton of experience in this area. The odd thing to me is that you are not seeing additional power cuz I've seen a lot of folks in this area, including 2 good buddies and a couple acquaintances that have had forced induction and the power is certainly there.....along with the headaches. I've never really seen anyone talking Magnuson, but I've also never gone out there searching specifically. I pretty much see what comes across this forum.

In regard to uninstalling it, I wouldn't think it would be terrible. The hardest part would be the tuning but couldn't you just get the dealer to reflash back to factory? If so, I'd think a couple hundred bucks max for them to do that.....just guestimating.
The following users liked this post:
fowlken8 (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that. Your story is fine and I liked it haha and yeah, the power isn't there, it's so strange. I don't get it. I wish I could sort this thing out, but I need to find out where my coolant is going. Sudden empty reservoir. no leaks. gotta be into the motor somehow which sucks. My combustion gas tester comes in tomorrow. I'll know then. If it's a head gasket....I'll probably just buy a used motor with low miles and have a shop do the swap and hope to sell my supercharger to recover at least some of the cost. I wish this headache would go away!
Old 03-14-2024, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

I think FI on a manual would show a lot less problems than with auto. Just my opinion but I went for cubic inches instead.

Quick Reply: Removing a supercharger? Worth it? How hard?