Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Removing tree sap from my soft top.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removing tree sap from my soft top.

I just bought a used soft top that is in great shape. The only thing is that it has a few spots where tree sap has dripped onto it! Scrubbing is not getting it out. Considered using Goo Gone but I am not sure if that would be a good idea. It is off of a 2013 and is the nice twill fabric I think? Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem? Any input would be appreciated!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ive used rubbing alcohol on the vinal soft top

but dont rub to hard and then treat it with vinal coating of some sort quickly but if yours is the cloth style im not sure what yould use

Last edited by jeepmojo; 09-13-2016 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is the cloth style. That is why I want to be careful! Any other suggestions?
Old 09-13-2016, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The premium fabric is standard on luxury cars so it may be worthwhile to call a higher end dealer with ragtop cars to ask what they'd use or recommend.

The jeep dealer will recommend whatever bestop product is on their shelf but it is important to treat the premium fabric differently than the standard vinyl top.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run into this a lot when detailing vehicles. You need to break down the SAP. Use the least aggressive process as possible. I have used woolight fabrics detergent with good results. I would first put some detergent in an area that can't be seen to make sure the fabric doesn't fade or bleed. I know woologht is not a strong detergent but the fabric has been in the sun. If no bleed or fade apply some directly on the spot and let it dwell. You will need a spray bottle with water an a soft brush. After letting the detergent dwell spray a bit of water and put a little woolight on the brush and go in a back and forth motion and agitate the spot. Rinse and check results. If that did not work try dawn dish detergent using the same process. If that doesn't work try Folex or a all purpose cleaner. Remember to test for fad or bleed.

As far as maintenance they are a few products that will protect the top. Use 303 protectant or rag top protectant. I use surfcity garage top cover when washing my keep as it has a cleaner and protectant. The best way to not get the the stains is to clean then as soon as possible

just a note on on the brush. Make sure it is soft as it will not make the threads ball.

Quick Reply: Removing tree sap from my soft top.