Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacement Brake Pads

Old 05-24-2017, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replacement Brake Pads

My brakes on my JK seem to be less grippy than I'd like and I think I may have worn them out. I'm planning on replacing my wheels and tires in the next couple of weeks and have been considering replacing the pads at the same time since I'll have everything apart already anyway. What pads are people liking? Typically I've gone with just the generic Duralast pads in the past but I'm beginning to think I could do better for the same money.

I know a couple people have really liked the Wagner Thermoquiets which can be had for what appears to be $35 an axle which ins't bad at all.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I have Hawk lts. I hate hate hate them on the front. They stop great. The amount of dust is ridiculous. More dust in two weeks compared to the oem brakes in 2 years.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

My rears were really worn around 55k miles. I replaced with Ake Bono ProACT Ultra-Premium ceramic pads. I like them in general. They seem quieter than my factory pads did off road. I bought a set for when the fronts go sometime in the future, but now hoping to just do a full brake upgrade at some point. The fronts barely seemed worn on mine at the time the rears were about shot.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The EBC pads are pretty popular and one of the fan favorites in regards to stopping and reduced dust. You likely won't find them at the same price you can get a set of Duralasts. The EBCs seem to run a bit more expensive, probably because they're made in Europe and shipped over.

This is what I got for my rears.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DAEGHE...=IREUTLJXZGL48

They work good, I hardly notice any dust on my wheels. They're brake pads, not a lot to get overly excited about. I'm about due for a replacement.

The previous replacement in the rears I got a set of Duralasts which came with a lifetime warranty and paid about $50 from Autozone. When replacing with the EBC rears, I actually took the Duralasts back to Autozone and they gave me a new set under warranty. I just need to remember where the heck I put them. They worked fine also, but did leave a lot of black dust on my wheels.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Hawks also...They do stop great which is the point of them, the down side is they do produce dust but I can live with that.
I had powerstop pads on before and they had brake fade when they got warm on long steep down hills.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hawk pads have always been popular in the SCCA world. Ton's of guys run them on their Subi's and Miata's. I had considered them but every review I read complained about a ton of dust.

Eventually I would like to upgrade to a big brake kit but that's a low priority mod for me. I'd rather spend that money on armor for now.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I have Hawk lts. I hate hate hate them on the front. They stop great. The amount of dust is ridiculous. More dust in two weeks compared to the oem brakes in 2 years.
This- all day long. They had more dust in a week than an entire month of running the stock brakes super hard. I should have taken the above advice and went anywhere else for pads (at 150k) but decided to try out the Hawks. They stop but at the cost of cleaning your wheels frequently if you're DD'ing the jeep.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
My rears were really worn around 55k miles. I replaced with Ake Bono ProACT Ultra-Premium ceramic pads. I like them in general. They seem quieter than my factory pads did off road. I bought a set for when the fronts go sometime in the future, but now hoping to just do a full brake upgrade at some point. The fronts barely seemed worn on mine at the time the rears were about shot.
How's the backing up with the Ake Bono? Any squeal? Most ceramics are good at stopping, last longer, less dust but the general consensus seems to be that they often squeal while backing up and applying brake.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black Magic Brakes....
Old 05-27-2017, 03:14 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I installed the new Raybestos ceramic-metallic hybrid brake pads (EHT1273H & EHT1274H) a few thousand miles ago.

The DOT friction code rating is GG for the Rabestos EHT pads, factory is FF -- A higher coefficient of friction translates into more braking force for the same pedal effort. DOT friction codes are mandatory for street legal pads, and it's a non-subjective way to compare this friction property without any marketing BS.

The shims on the back of the pads are thin steel bonded to resilient material that's bonded to the back of the pad. No noise, haven't noticed brake dust, and they feel like they stop better than stock.

Last edited by Mr.T; 05-27-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacement Brake Pads