Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replacing my engine (HELP!)

Old 05-24-2024, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my engine (HELP!)

Ok. Long story short. Stuck a piston rod through my block. Went to discount auto parts and pulled a 3.8L engine from a T&C.

Watched over 100 hours on YT. Everyone says the same thing, but nobody says why. "Swap the heads and upper and lower oil pans."

I get the oil pans. But why the heads?

Both engines are 3.8L. Unless I'm missing something (and I probably am), the van engine should just drop in eith it's own heads.

Can someone please explain this to me? I'm working with minimal everything. Just getting into wrenching after a 20 year hiatus and want to make sense of everything.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm linking you to this guy's series of 8 videos (scroll down to vids from 6 years ago) where he swapped out the original 3.8 with a Caravan's 3.8. There were some specific things he found out during the job which could also help you out....assuming you didn't see it already.

The Metzker's

Hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Replacing my engine (HELP!)