Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

replacing softop with hardtop

Old 04-02-2015, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing softop with hardtop

Ok, I need the low down on this. I've down some reading but I seeing a lot of opinions rather than facts.

I've got a 2011 2 door sport. If I buy a used hardtop from someone, what years will fit and what years will not. Will I need any adapter? Will I need to cut or drill? If I buy a used hardtop, what parts should the seller be provided with the top?

thanks
Old 04-02-2015, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The back half from any year (2007-2015) will fit. The freedom tops were changed slightly in 2010 and the latch moved to the front - latching to the footman loop (which was repositioned at the same time).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2572181599.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	604535

2007 - 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-61549924.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	604536

2010 and above

You will need the wire harness if you get one with the wiper assembly (I don't know if they sold any without).

Not many parts, back half, the two freedom tops, the two 'cup' screws for the freedom tops and the torx bolts for the back.

Last edited by zstairlessone; 04-02-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:51 PM
JK Newbie

Just curious any specific reason for going to hard top?
Old 04-03-2015, 11:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

We're considering doing the hard top thing as well.. having seen jsherbs safari cap.. and the Wildboar version.. But we may retain the half top system currently on the jeep.. yet make alterations to it's design.. Including the 2 freedom panels as a mini removable section, altering the rear view window on the Bestop windjammer and searching for the Aries hard shell security cover.

In theory, the hard shell tops be it the full or panels should withstand more abuse while traveling.. I would hate to be out on the road only to encounter a hail storm with a soft top.. But by no means does this eliminate any unforeseen damage the panel top would endure. We like the idea of having the option to remove and store the panels if need be. Though with a few alterations (which we may shortly) to the Bestop Bikini would/should allow us to incorporate a sunrider option. Either way.. panels or fabric.. alterations will need to be attended to.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepersDigest
We're considering doing the hard top thing as well.. having seen jsherbs safari cap.. and the Wildboar version.. But we may retain the half top system currently on the jeep.. yet make alterations to it's design.. Including the 2 freedom panels as a mini removable section, altering the rear view window on the Bestop windjammer and searching for the Aries hard shell security cover.

In theory, the hard shell tops be it the full or panels should withstand more abuse while traveling.. I would hate to be out on the road only to encounter a hail storm with a soft top.. But by no means does this eliminate any unforeseen damage the panel top would endure. We like the idea of having the option to remove and store the panels if need be. Though with a few alterations (which we may shortly) to the Bestop Bikini would/should allow us to incorporate a sunrider option. Either way.. panels or fabric.. alterations will need to be attended to.
Are you talking to yourself again? How does any of that answer the OP's question?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Angry_Fisherman
Ok, I need the low down on this. I've down some reading but I seeing a lot of opinions rather than facts.

I've got a 2011 2 door sport. If I buy a used hardtop from someone, what years will fit and what years will not. Will I need any adapter? Will I need to cut or drill? If I buy a used hardtop, what parts should the seller be provided with the top?

thanks
Originally Posted by zstairlessone
The back half from any year (2007-2015) will fit. The freedom tops were changed slightly in 2010 and the latch moved to the front - latching to the footman loop (which was repositioned at the same time).

Attachment 604535

2007 - 2009

Attachment 604536

2010 and above

You will need the wire harness if you get one with the wiper assembly (I don't know if they sold any without).

Not many parts, back half, the two freedom tops, the two 'cup' screws for the freedom tops and the torx bolts for the back.

Additionally, here's some other information on the 2dr hard tops.

I've got a 2010 2dr.

When my hard top (rear shell) broke/cracked, it was replaced (insurance) with a 2011+ newer. The windows on the newer hard top sides/rear are larger/wider. Which is an improvement, but the 2010 Freedom tops (front), do not fit well with the redesigned rear shell. I'm not sure what changed, but they do not sit flush when mated to the back half., additionally, when I researched / looked at replacing my freedom tops with the newer 2011+ tops, I found out the freedom loop was again moved and would have to move/modify it, along with replacing the inner header/trim piece to match.

That being said, if you went with a matched 2010-2015 freedom top/rear shell you'd be ok. If it were an older style, 2007-2009, then you'd have to move your footman loop to make it work, as mentioned earlier.

Last edited by RodCyn; 04-04-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: replacing softop with hardtop