Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replacing stock soft top, spring removal issue.. Help!

Old 03-19-2015, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stock soft top, spring removal issue.. Help!

I have to replace the soft top on my 2014 JK. I bought a replacement that uses all the stock equipment as the original. I started taking the old one off and can't figure out how to remove the springs that attach to the cable that runs to the front of the top. I called the parts house where I ordered it from and they had never heard of them. Can anybody tell me what I need to do? Unfortunately it has no instructions and the installation guide I was directed to never even mentions them. The new top has the springs and cable already on it, and once I get those off, it shouldn't take 20-30 minutes to get the new one on!

I took some pics so you can see what I am talking about..... Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150319_184625.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	602104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-03-19-19-02-00.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	602105   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150319_184724 (2).jpg
Views:	332
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	602107  
Old 03-19-2015, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome! Wow! Sorry I haven't seen those before. My Supertop springs aren't nearly as hefty. But if the new top has them then it should have the instructions to install them and I would think the removal process is just the reverse? If not, I would take my dremel to it and have them off in less than a minute.

Hopefully someone with those springs will jump in to help. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

BowHunter, I've search everywhere in regards to this.. and the only thing I can suggest is that one of the tube frame parts needs to be swung forward, then disengage two hooks (one per side/spring lever actuated) that allows the soft to recline all the way back to the tailgate.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I will check it out tomorrow. I had to put what I had undone back together to make it to work this weekend, but plan on working on it tomorrow. Swinging it back may work. We will see!

Quick Reply: Replacing stock soft top, spring removal issue.. Help!