Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replacing Your Hood, Something You Should All Know

Old 05-05-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brent_f70
I have a spare black hood in my garage. Took it off when I put on the AEV hood. I was planning to deliver it to a member in UT this weekend when I go to Moab but haven't heard back from him......PM before Friday if your interested.
Thanks for the offer but I'm ok brent, go ahead and take it to Moab I guess. I kept my original black hood and I'm going to have the dents removed from it so I have a spare hood should I need one.

By the way I nearly went a ahead and sprung for that AEV hood, it was very tempting. How do you like it?
Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like it.....I had some custom powder coating put on the buldge and front edge and skateboard tape was used to cut out my "RUBICON" letters. Not really a necessity in CO since it stays pretty cool here..... but I think it looks good! I have taken off the wrangler stickers since the photos were taken. This is what it looks like:

If you change you mind or anyone else wants my stock hood just PM me it is listed for sale in the classified area of the forum.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black08X
Perhaps on the ones you have. Certainly the ones that I have now you can do that. But the factory ones on the original hood have some kind of funky conical / nipple looking thing. They weren't coming off without tearing them up. Now the replacement ones that I bought from Jeep are entirely different and yes those can come off very easily. I don't know why the difference.
Yeah. Those with the conical nipple. It has a slot that the hood fits into. Just twist them and they pop right off. As far as I can tell they are the same on my 09 as they were on my 07. I know because I have to put them back on every time I wash it. They pop off so easy.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to get paint under the hinges the jeeps would have to be painted in pieces, thats jsut not going to happen, no vehicle is painted and then built, the reason the jeeps more obviously not painted under the hinges, both hood and door is because they are mounted on the outside. Most cars have then on the inside or the panels. Take a door off any car there isnt paint under the hinges.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Very nice hood...Like it alot...
Old 05-05-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

I really like it.....I had some custom powder coating put on the buldge and front edge and skateboard tape was used to cut out my "RUBICON" letters. Not really a necessity in CO since it stays pretty cool here..... but I think it looks good! I have taken off the wrangler stickers since the photos were taken. This is what it looks like:

If you change you mind or anyone else wants my stock hood just PM me it is listed for sale in the classified area of the forum.
Nice. As mine is also a black 2 door I know now what it would have looked like.

Let me ask you, did you have to remove the cowel to put the AEV hood on?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly there were a couple ways to adjust it to make sure it fit flush and those adjusters were under the cowl....not 100% sure though, you can download the install instructions from the Quadratec site just below the product description.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

If I remember correctly there were a couple ways to adjust it to make sure it fit flush and those adjusters were under the cowl....not 100% sure though, you can download the install instructions from the Quadratec site just below the product description.
Yeah, that's why I ask because the instructions say you have to remove the cowel to install the hood, whereas with the factory replacment hood that I just put on mine we didn't have to remove the cowel. The whole swap took about 40 minutes from start to finish. Pro and Cons to everything I guess.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Black08X
Yeah, that's why I ask because the instructions say you have to remove
the cowel to install the hood, ...
When I installed the Tough Stuff Hi-Lift jack mount, which attaches to the
hood hinges, it was necessary to adjust the hood. However, it was not
necessary to remove the cowel to do that. But, that was only up/down
adjustment. However, I don't think there were any lateral adjustments
hidden under the cowel, but could be wrong.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:01 AM
Jsr
JK Enthusiast

Great job on the hood!

Quick Reply: Replacing Your Hood, Something You Should All Know