Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Reviving an old thread. Engine noises unexplained

Old 11-05-2017, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving an old thread. Engine noises unexplained

Hi Folks,

I have a 07 JKU Sahara.
I have pu 178k on this old goat...
Put 4 inch lift on it 4 years ago, did not re-gear... yes I have replaced a transmission since, but not the point.

I pull a lightweight trailer around... which is okay according to my local mechanic shop and aamco... as long as I don't try to pull the trailer at 90 mph down the interstate...lol ( reason for replacing the tranny)

The vehicle has recently lost the alternator... made a terrible whirring noise, then boom 4 miles later... replaced that..

then I noticed a similar noise... but it is coming from inside the engine... to be exact, the driver side. piston chambers are louder than the passenger side...

it's a whirring noise, proportional to the rpm's, and it has progressively gotten louder... to the point where I think I need to do something about it... before it goes boom and then need to replace it.

as a side note... there is also a knock at start up... for about 3 seconds, then it goes away... I have tried to remedy this with oil changes and changes in oil grades... no dice... still there..

please ask away with the questions, as I am sure I am missing something... I am trying to avoid taking it to the dealership, as it always comes back with some new unexplained issue directly after... just so i could take it back to fix it... got hip to that a while back, and started fixing their ( "oh no, we didn't do that, came in like that" ) issues myself.... strange how that works, huh...

Thank you in advance guys!! I know this thread has been done before, but somehow its never the same issues...

Oh list of things recently changed out...

Water pump ( almost 2 years ago now )
Tensioner pulleys 8 months ago,
whole front end of the motor, due to a cracked oil filter manifold ( 1 year ago )
alternator 3 months ago.

again, Thank you in advance!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

First thing I'd try is removing the serpentine belt, run the engine for a minute or so and let us know if the noise disappears.

Last edited by Mr.T; 11-08-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Reviving an old thread. Engine noises unexplained