Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

right front grinding sound and brake change

Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default right front grinding sound and brake change

So lately I have developed a new "grinding" sound coming from the front right wheel. Most noticeable going by jersey barriers, fences, etc on the right side. I'm wondering if my brake pad on that side is that worn out. Any suggestions of what this could be. I have had stones in the calipers from mudding and what not but that has gone away previously. Haven't pulled the tire yet.

Also was planning on putting on new brake pads. Does anyone know if you need a special tool to push the pistons back in or can you just use a C clamp?
Old 08-05-2012, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like it could be your brakes, however, what you're describing could also be a wheel bearing / hub assembly. I would recommend pulling the tire sooner than later to see what is going on in there.

You don't need any special tools to change your brake pads. A C-clamp works great for pushing the piston back.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubicon John
Sounds like it could be your brakes, however, what you're describing could also be a wheel bearing / hub assembly. I would recommend pulling the tire sooner than later to see what is going on in there.

You don't need any special tools to change your brake pads. A C-clamp works great for pushing the piston back.
The longer you wait, the worse it is going to get. Sounds like possibly a sticky caliper as well.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

I'm kind of leaning towards something with the brakes as far as the grinding sound. It seems to stop or quiet up a bit when I apply the brakes

Thanks for the help for changing the pads!!! :-)
Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Went to the stealership today since I needed an oil change anyway. And $61.06 and 1.5 hrs later they said my rear pads wore into my rotors causing the grinding sound. So it wasn't coming from the right front. Then they proceeded to tell me I need both upper and lower ball joints to the sum of $316 and change PER SIDE, along with a front axle universal joint to the sum of $137 and change, AND obviously pads and rotors for the rear to the sum of $509 and change.

I can do brakes and rotors myself no problem. I have done ball joints before on different vehicles. Now here's my question. Ball joints and universal joint. Do I need a press or puller for these? How hard of a job are these? Any help is appreciated!! Hope to get this done today.

Thanks
-Blair

Quick Reply: right front grinding sound and brake change