Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rock rails question...

Old 01-21-2020, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock rails question...

Hey y’all. Just became the owner of a ‘17 JKU sport. It has some side steps bolted on that I don’t like. Was hoping to just put the rock rails on.

found a set locally cheap that I’m hoping to pick up. But as I’m reading it seems they don’t stop at the body lines? Runs into the rear fender well?

right now the Jeep is stock. With stock tenders and tires and height this shouldn’t be an issue but when I lift and go to 35s and replace fenders then I’ll want/need to trim them? That right?
Old 01-22-2020, 02:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

What rock rails? There are many different rock rails on the msrket.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
What rock rails? There are many different rock rails on the msrket.
sorry. I was talking about factory rock rails.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Not always necessary but it is easy to trim an inch or so off if needed.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalCK
Hey y’all. Just became the owner of a ‘17 JKU sport. It has some side steps bolted on that I don’t like. Was hoping to just put the rock rails on.

found a set locally cheap that I’m hoping to pick up. But as I’m reading it seems they don’t stop at the body lines? Runs into the rear fender well?

right now the Jeep is stock. With stock tenders and tires and height this shouldn’t be an issue but when I lift and go to 35s and replace fenders then I’ll want/need to trim them? That right?
Folks that run 35s and the usual 2.5" lift usually end up trimming the stock rails.

Originally Posted by jadmt
Not always necessary but it is easy to trim an inch or so off if needed.
^They're not wrong, mine are trimmed at both ends, not a huge deal and it's easy to trim them while keeping them looking good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eDFIdGDh.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	678003
Old 01-22-2020, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Hey, I'm on the other side of town from you......if you are interested, I have a set of Rubi rails that I welded tube to with some flat stock to provide a nice step and was durable for banging against the rocks. They are trimmed already and I've welded a cap in place so water/mud doesn't get down in the rubi rail. If you have an interest, PM me and I can send you a couple pics. The forum is having issues at the moment so can't upload here.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

Sounds like JKU Rubicon rock rails ??? yes they extend beyond the body lines... YES you can trim (cut) to length to match the body line. I recall seeing a video (maybe Utube) on this process.. It simple -- mock up the rails, mark off the cut line (match body line) pull off the end cap plug .. make the cut. slight amount of Black RTV on the cap - re-install the cap plug.

Quick Reply: Rock rails question...