Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rough runnin

Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough runnin

Ok, so my 2007 jeep got a little maintenance done to it. I changed the oil, oil filter, spark plugs & plug wires. When i started all this, the engine was running rough. I changed the oil and filter and it ran smooth for a couple of days then went back to rough. I then changed the spark plugs and it ran smooth then went back to rough. I changed the plug wires and it ran smooth and then it went back to running rough. What am I missing. I gapped the plugs right so I am a little confused to what the problem is. Any advise?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Former Member

How many miles are on your Jeep and what plugs did you use?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Well... air / fuel / spark / timing ... that is the recipe for smooth. You have covered spark delivery and the air filter should be easy enough to address. Timing is handled by a chain so it should either be good or really bad; so that leaves injector/valve train cleaning.

Some on this forum swear by Seafoam but I have never used it myself. It is useable as a fuel and oil additive which covers both injectors and valves.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Former Member

A friend of mine had a similar issue and his mechanic and I both had a hard time diagnosing the problem. Ended up being the plugs. JKs can be picking when it comes to aftermarket plugs apparantly.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default Bad Gas?

Possibly bad gas? I got it one time and used Seafoam, took it right away. Or you could try Beano.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

What color were your plugs when you changed them?

Quick Reply: Rough runnin