Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon in Alaska... ready for cold?

Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My jeep did fine all last winter at constant temps from -20 to -47. I wish I had a remote start but it's a lot colder here in fairbanks. Your jeep will be fine.

First winter with led lights. I don't think ill have any problems.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing I've heard about LED's not working great in winter due to no heat emitting is due to some common misconceptions. Most people compare them to their standard headlights / aux lights which they notice builds up with ice every time they go and start it up. Reason it builds up with ice is due to the last time it ran, it melted all that water onto the lens which froze when the heat stopped. With the LED's, while they don't put out much heat, they also don't build up and freeze the same amount of ice on their lenses, which means that you don't really have a problem or need for your lights to melt all that ice.

My father runs LEDs on his headlights and all the aux lights up north and has never had a problem with them in winter. If the ice is too much, even standard lights can still freeze up. Last winter there was a bad freezing rain storm and everything on the Jeep was frozen when it was running. So excited to see winter starting soon .......

Quick Reply: Rubicon in Alaska... ready for cold?