Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon Locker Issue, TIPM and Testing

Old 03-17-2015, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My recently purchased 2010 Rubicon has an issue with the rear locker not engaging. The dash indicates the lock is engaged but my mechanic told me the actuator is not engaging (had the diff. cover removed and visually inspected). I returned to the dealer (who gave me a mechanical guarantee); his mechanic said it was an electric issue & they replaced the TIPM.

I hadn't noticed any electrical issues and really can't even tell the TIPM was replaced (box below fuse block under hood, right?). I've engaged front and rear lockers; obvious when the front is locked but I can't tell a difference when the rear is engaged. The rear locker light on the dash varied between solid and flashed at times while I drove and tested.

What is the correct way to confirm locker is working properly? I jacked the rear up and tried to test but not sure if locker will engage while in neutral (if so, test failed). I also tried lifting only one tire but it was the same result whether locked or unlocked (wouldn't turn more than an inch either way).

I've searched through old posts but cannot seem to find the information. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! I hope I posted this in the correct section. Thanks in advance for any help! JLK

Last edited by johnlukeking; 03-18-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=johnlukeking;4071697]My recently purchased 2010 Rubicon has an issue with the rear locker not engaging. The dash indicates the lock is engaged but my mechanic told me the actuator is not engaging (had the diff. cover removed and visually inspected). I returned to the dealer (who gave me a mechanical guarantee); his mechanic said it was an electric issue & they replaced the TIPM.

I hadn't noticed any electrical issues and really can't even tell the TIPM was replaced (box below fuse block under hood, right?). I've engaged front and rear lockers; obvious when the front is locked but I can't tell a difference when the rear is engaged. The rear locker light on the dash varied between solid and flashed at times while I drove and tested.

What is the correct way to confirm locker is working properly? I jacked the rear up and tried to test but not sure if locker will engage while in neutral (if so, test failed). I also tried lifting only one tire but it was the same result whether locked or unlocked (wouldn't turn more than an inch either way).

I've searched through old posts but cannot seem to find the information. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! I hope I posted this in the correct section. Thanks in advance for any help! JLK[/QUOTE

While in 4 low put the vehicle in 1rst gear, both wheels should turn forward. Then go to neutral and turn by hand, they both should rotate in the same direction. The side gear actuator doesn't move very far toward the carrier for engagement.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Locker Issue, TIPM and Testing