Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon skid plates

Old 04-12-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rubicon skid plates

so about a year ago iw ent over a log in my stock rubicon, in the process, i bent up my gastank skid pretty bad. This is causing the gas tank to rub with the body of the jeep and make an annoying sound all the time, is there any way to bend the dent out?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take off the skid, hammer the piss out of it.

It may or may not help, but at least you tried
Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

true true....is there any after market one that would work in conjunction with the stock ones?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Be careful taking off the gas tank skid plate, the skid plate holds the gas tank in place.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Does it really? i was wondering that. i also noticed that the gas skid is connected to someother skid? i cant remember which one though... thats horrible design.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubi4life
Does it really? i was wondering that. i also noticed that the gas skid is connected to someother skid? i cant remember which one though... thats horrible design.
im pretty sure its also connected to the transfercase/ tranny skid if i remeber right. at least theres protection there.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SIDsjeep
im pretty sure its also connected to the transfercase/ tranny skid if i remeber right. at least theres protection there.
Yes, tranny skid. They come off easy-peezy. And as another stated, the tank is held in place by it's skid. There's a write-up around here somewhere as to how to handle the gas tank skid replacement/removal.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

so will i be safe to just take skid off and leave gas tank hanging or should i put a jack there to hold it up in place once i take the skid off?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rubi4life
so will i be safe to just take skid off and leave gas tank hanging or should i put a jack there to hold it up in place once i take the skid off?
Proper removal would include draining the tank, securing fuel lines, lowering the entire unit as one piece, disconnecting sending unit/pump/hoses, removal of tank from plate... etc...

The impression I get is that you will not be able to support the tank separate of the plate.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Shankspony
Proper removal would include draining the tank, securing fuel lines, lowering the entire unit as one piece, disconnecting sending unit/pump/hoses, removal of tank from plate... etc...

The impression I get is that you will not be able to support the tank separate of the plate.
Got it. Well ill have to take it in and get someone else to do so then. Thanks yall for the help.

Quick Reply: Rubicon skid plates